INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kudos for caching...  (Read 728 times)

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
Kudos for caching...
« on: March 02, 2019, 02:02:28 am »

I'm listening to tunes and watching video this evening, both via Media Center.

Aside from the "it just works, and works excellently" aspect, I've noticed something else.

I have a MC client (Windows 7, 64 bit) that feeds the TV.  The MC server is the desktop PC (Windows 7, 64 bit) in the other room.  Connected via gigabyte Ethernet.  Infrastructure aside...

The MC client is in my media center cabinet, as such it uses the Ethernet switch in that cabinet, complete with blinking LEDs for network traffic.

Long story short - I know which blinking LED is the MC client, so I know when the MC client has network traffic.

And that brings me to the point of this rambling comment...   :)

The MC client has some rather intelligent caching of media content. 

I haven't turned on tcpdump to watch the details, but based upon the network traffic I see on the blinking lights, it looks like MC client pulls the content to the client as quickly as possible so that it can effortlessly stream that content from the local source.

Then the playback occurs from the local disk drive (as I noticed from the disk drive light blinking on the MC client PC).

OK, yeah, this is just common sense to assure a reliable playback of the content, but, wow, it was amazing to see it occurring in the blinking lights. 

It was also cool to see the quality of the engineering that goes in to Media Center.  To be honest, this caching was interesting to see, as I watched it occur.  But given the other quality engineering aspects Ive seen in Media Center, it was not a surprise. 

(apologies for my techie ramblings, but this aspect impressed me...)

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Kudos for caching...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 05:31:17 am »

kind words are always welcome...that aside have you seen any blinking lights in the sky?  ;D
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Kudos for caching...
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 08:33:04 am »

Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up