INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [24.0.75; Query] Batch rename  (Read 1386 times)

Goatshade

• Citizen of the Universe
[24.0.75; Query] Batch rename
« on: March 04, 2019, 07:25:03 am »

If I want to append, say, (Instrumental) to all tracks in a given playlist in one operation without otherwise changing the names of said tracks, how would I do so? As far as I can tell, Find & Replace doesn't support wildcards like *.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: [24.0.75; Query] Batch rename
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 07:58:48 am »

I'm going to make the Find & Replace support expressions in MC 25.  That way you can do something like:
Find: [Name]
Replace: [Name] (Instrumental)

Thanks for the idea :)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 09:00:26 am »

I'm confused by what you are trying to do.  You want to change the name, but you don't want to change it?  Do you mean that you want to change the Name field but not the filename?  The other way around?  Something else?

Brian.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 09:08:19 am »

I think he's just trying to stick an additional string on a value.  There was no way with Find & Replace.  You could edit with an expression, but soon you'll be able to with Find & Replace as well.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Goatshade

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 04:08:06 pm »

I'm going to make the Find & Replace support expressions in MC 25.  That way you can do something like:
Find: [Name]
Replace: [Name] (Instrumental)

Thanks for the idea :)

Of course. Thank you. :)

Goatshade

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 11:09:56 pm »

To revisit this, I have another scenario that might not quite be solved by the solution above:

Say you have an album of tracks whose [Name] fields are each prefixed with a track number. Would it be possible to remove all of these at once via Find & Replace while preserving each name?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 12:10:25 am »

No. The RM&CF function acts on file names and directory structures, not field values.

If your [Name] fields are prefixed in a standard way, for example something like "xx - ", then just use an expression in the [Name] field and one of the MC String Manipulation functions.

i.e. https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/String_Manipulation_Functions#RemoveLeft

Just select the files you want to fix, edit the [Name] field, and enter the expression
=removeleft([Name], 5)

if your naming is as per my example above.

Simple. Test carefully. Start with a small number of files. Check that all files have the same [Name] format. Remember that Ctrl+Z will undo field changes, if something goes wrong.

PS: There is probably a Regex expression that would remove everything up to and including the second space if some files use single digit track numbers and others two digits, but I'm not a Regex person, so can't help with that.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Goatshade

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 01:24:02 am »

That works! Appreciate! n.n
Pages: [1]   Go Up