INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Terrible noise with Optical Digital Output (Realtek) from PC to Mojo  (Read 1018 times)

Xul

• Recent member

Hello, I'm using the Realtek Digital Output (Toslink) from my Asus Crosshair VI Hero motherboard to a Chord Mojo (mainly used as a desktop DAC connected to an amp). With Foobar all is just perfect, sounds very nice, clean and smooth. The fact is that I purchased a JRiver license and wanted to listen mainly with it. Here come the issues. Once configured (Realtek Digital as Output), Buffer 100ms, Auto Bit-Depth... the sound is just a noisy mess. The settings should be the same as Foobar's but I still can't get it to work. Don't know if I am missing something or there's some wrong setting(s) somewhere. OS is Windows 10, all needed drivers installed. No issues with the Mojo connected via USB but now I want to listen to it via Toslink as I just purchased a new good cable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Terrible noise with Optical Digital Output (Realtek) from PC to Mojo
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 07:14:22 am »

Do you hear only noise, or is the audio still there with noise on top?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Xul

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 07:23:08 am »

Do you hear only noise, or is the audio still there with noise on top?

I'd say only noise, like a massive interference, don't know how to describe it... let's put this way: 99% noise, 1% audio in background. Just impossible to listen (obviously).

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 07:26:11 am »

Which output are you using in  Media Center? WASAPI? DirectSound?
Try some of the other options, some are only in the "More" menu as well.

Also not sure how well Auto Bit-depth works with TOSLink, since the DAC can't exactly communicate back the bitdepth it actually wants, so I would also try setting that to a specific one, maybe start with 16-bit see if that works, then try 24-bit.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Xul

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 08:17:30 am »

Which output are you using in  Media Center? WASAPI? DirectSound?
Try some of the other options, some are only in the "More" menu as well.

DirectSound never because I always want BitPerfect output, so WASAPI (Realtek Digital Output) in this case (as well in Foobar). Via USB I use KS or sometimes ASIO. Yes, I click in the "More" menu to select KS (the output suggested by Chord for their DACs) when using USB, so in this case I'm forced to use the Realtek Digital Output [WASAPI].

Yes, I also tried to change the Bit-Depth to 16 or 24 but the problem is still there (Foobar is set to 24 and as I said works perfectly). I'm pretty sure it has to do with some wrong setting(s) somewhere... need to investigate further.
Pages: [1]   Go Up