INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to use JRiver (and a PC desktop?) to a TV in a separate room  (Read 748 times)

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen

So I haven't really updated my living room "connectivity" much in about a decade and basically want to do two things:

1) Use J River software on a PC in another room and "stream" it to my TV... and be able to use a physical remote (willing to purchase, but would really like to be able to program necessary codes into a universal remote to keep my living room remote count at 1) to control what I'm playing (usually movies or music).

2) More broadly speaking, cast my entire Windows 10 desktop to my TV screen.

I have a 2017 smart TV and of course everything has wifi, so I just want the most seamless solution... and given that it is 2019, I feel like surely it exists... but can't quite figure out the best way to do things.

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Best way to use JRiver (and a PC desktop?) to a TV in a separate room
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 07:12:19 am »

I would run LAN cable to TV for movies ... WiFi is fine for music but can have drop outs for movies, especially 4K

You can use DLNA to browse your library from smart TV ... in this case TV remote is used ... interface will depend on TV DLNA browser

You can also use JRemote on smart phone/tabs to browse library and cast it to TV

Personally ... I would build HTPC faneless client with nvidia 1060 (highest possible gpu that can run passively cooled) ... then LAN it to server ... then use Theatre View to browse library on TV with IR or RF remote installed on that HTPC (can also use JRemote on smartphones to control that HTPC)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)
Pages: [1]   Go Up