INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DAC recommendations  (Read 2738 times)

perry59

• Junior Woodchuck
DAC recommendations
« on: March 22, 2019, 12:02:13 pm »

Hi all, I want to purchase an affordable (read sub $1000) DAC and am hoping to get feedback from owners.
I plan to attach the DAC via usb to a NUC and then route it's output to my receiver via rca or coax, or toslink, or optical, whatever works best.
the NUC will host my JRiver server and all the music.
If anyone has recommendations for the NUC, that would be appreciated too!
Thanks

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DAC recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 02:30:50 pm »

A DAC is a digital to analog converter.  To get the benefit of the DAC, you will want to use it's RCA (analog audio) outputs and run those to an input on your receiver.  The idea here is that the DAC you purchase will have better sound quality than some other DAC you have access to.  What other DACs do I mean?  Well, there's probably a DAC built in to the NUC.  If it has an analog audio output, then it has a DAC.  There are also DACs inside your receiver.  Any time you send input to your receiver via optical digital, coaxial digital, or HDMI (audio), you are going to use the DACs inside your receiver.

So you might not "need" a DAC at all.  Also note that pretty much every consumer DAC is a two channel device:  It plays Left and Right audio.  If you intend to use this for multi-channel audio (5.1) or surround sound movies (5.1, 7.1, etc), then an external DAC is probably not what you want.  At least not a normal 2 channel DAC.

I hope this gets you started in the right direction.

Brian.

perry59

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 05:28:15 pm »

The question was probably a little ambiguous!
First I need to determine if I can use a DAC, as it is meant to be. Like you said, receivers typically have their own built in DAC's, adding another to the mix would not help. My yamaha rx-v483 has modes called "direct" and "straight" which is supposed to disable any DSP but the manual does not specifically say whether it disables the internal DAC's. Guess I'll have to find out from yamaha if this is the case. If I can't disable the built in DAC's the the question is moot.
If these modes DO disable the built in DAC's then I can use my own external unit and that is where I was heading with the original question. There are a LOT of DAC's out there! anywhere from just a  hundred bucks to get a second mortgage in cost. And yes, this is strictly for stereo, not looking for a multi channel DAC.
I don't know if the NUC will have DAC but I was under the impression if I use USB out from the NUC it bypasses anything that would tinker with the audio. The NUC only  has USB and HDMI connections. If I were to use an external DAC I would use the USB from the NUC to the DAC. If I do not use an external DAC I would then use HDMI from the NUC to the receiver (the receiver has no USB on the back panel).
Clear as mud? ;D

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 06:49:27 pm »

My yamaha rx-v483 has modes called "direct" and "straight" which is supposed to disable any DSP but the manual does not specifically say whether it disables the internal DAC's.

If the DSP is disabled, then there should not be a DAC or ADC in the path as long as you are using a regular stereo RCA input and not a digital input.

You should be just fine to use an external stereo DAC then.  NUC USB to USB input on the DAC.  Stereo RCA outs to stereo RCA ins on the receiver.  DSP disabled via "direct" or "straight" mode.  Should be good to go. 

As you said there are a ton of choices.  At the moment I really like the multi-bit DACs from Schiit Audio.  I am far from a definitive source on the subject though.  You should probably seek other opinions also.

Good luck.

Brian.

RichSingapore

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 02:23:30 am »

If your set up is for music only then you will gain more from replacing the AV receiver. I have a Yamaha RX-3010 Aventage for example and although it sounds great for music I know it's not driving my speakers to their full capacity. Just something else to think about.

larryrup

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 01:30:14 am »

I have owned a Schitt BiFrost DAC for many years now.  It is on 24/7 (though not is use nearly that much) and has been trouble free.  I rarely use any thing else but have tried  built in DAC in an IPAD Pro, which was acceptable.  The BiFrost as part of the four components in play (PC USB out to the Bi-Frost-RCA out to the AMP, then conventual speaker wire to the speakers is great.  I get nothing but compliments on the sound when people are over.  I love the output but have not isolated the DAC much for comparison.

I think I originally paid around $500  I guess  around 2013. Prices have come down since.  I did the Multi Bit upgrade in 2017 and earlier the uber and USB upgrades.  Cost was around $350.  They were simple and quick.  My investment is now $800+ and while that is higher than I thought I'd go for,  it does includes upgrades and fits in when measured as  part of my total 2 channel investment.   DAC prices go up to ridiculous levels.  You can  use a built in DAC in the interim  and make a informed choice when your ready.  The difference in sound I think is subtle, but the sum of the audio parts in my living room is very fine to my ears.  I don't think you can go wrong with a Bi-frost. It appears mine will perform as long as I care to use it, and I still care to use it.

LarryRup

Larry
HTPC, , JRiver.  Music Source:Network share drive.  Speakers:B&W P6, AMP:Yaqin 100b, DAC:BiFrost Uber, Headphones:Audeze LCD2, Sens HD600, AT W5000, Headphone Amps:XCAN v8, Woo Fireflies, Original EarMax.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 02:33:15 am »

I have owned a Schitt BiFrost DAC for many years now.  It is on 24/7 (though not is use nearly that much) and has been trouble free.  I rarely use any thing else but have tried  built in DAC in an IPAD Pro, which was acceptable. 

Another vote for Schitt DAC.  I've been using one as well as my primary music source for 3 years and my experience has been the same as Larry.  Troublefree and great sound!
The Schitt is real!
;-)

perry59

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 02:34:34 pm »

thanks for the input guys!

RichSingapore

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 08:51:07 am »

I have Sony TA-ZH1ES amplifier and Sony MDR-Z7 which is great headphone for EDM and anything bass heavy. The amplifier on it's own is superb as you would expect for the price too.

Joeycococo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 01:49:09 pm »

I have used a Cambridge Audio DacMagic, Benchmark DAC1 HDR and currently use a Benchmark L DAC2.  DACMagic was pretty amazing in how much more it revealed.  The DAC1 blew it out of the water in terms of details and to my great surprise, the DAC2 actually improved upon the DAC1.  Benchmark is pretty solid.

Having praised Benchmark, I must say the DACMagic did have something very smooth about it that I loved.  If I were to find another for sale used, I'd probably pick one up.

tx

dmac6419

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 10:56:07 am »

Topping DX7s $449 to $499 you'll thank me later. ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up