INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: source mixup  (Read 794 times)

rhkrhk

• World Citizen
source mixup
« on: March 23, 2019, 10:32:22 pm »

Using MC 25, windows 7 64 bit.  Two outputs:  default "player" is a USB amp & a pair of desktops.  "PS Audio" connects to my main stereo.

With "PSaudio" at the top of the screen, I try to stream internet radio - but the desktops, which are presumably out of the signal path, play the music.  I can play computer files to PSAudio, but the radio. Why?

thanks
rhk

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: source mixup
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 07:18:50 pm »

What Internet Radio are you streaming?

If you are streaming a web page, one that isn't integrated into the MC environment, then it will just play on the Default Window Audio Device, and not through MC. For example, even last.fm, which is included in the MC Streaming section, is just a web page, and plays to the Windows Device. Check the Windows Volume Mixer to see if audio is being played by Windows rather than MC.

Also, do you connect to your main stereo via DLNA? i.e. Is the "PS Audio" a DLNA device?

I used to think that you couldn't send any internet stream to a DLNA device, but it seems that is working quite well now, for many sources listed in the Streaming section of MC, such as Radio Paradise, PublicRadioFan.com, Radio Swiss, etc.

Tell us more.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

rhkrhk

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 08:26:14 pm »

computer is connected to PS Audio via router. It is a DLNA device.  I connect thru MC  -
1- streaming,  or

2- playlist/radio stations/http://www.wqxr.org/#1       or

3 web media http://stream.wqxr.org/wqxr
                             amber.streaminguys.com:6050/live

It seems to me there was something called audio/"my connected media" or something like that   - where I had some other radio stations which were lost during the upgrade to MC25.  Was that in MC 23?  This function was helpful. Is it gone?

Finally - I can access youtube thru MC25, but it wont download anything.

I'm having trouble creating a shortcut to open MC25.  If I right click on MC25.exe, the shortcut creates open mserver.jar - which reinstalls the program rather than just opening it.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 01:38:49 am »

I wrote a long answer. My PC crashed (thanks Logitech!), and I lost the answer. So here is the short version.

Generally, Streams can't be played on a DLNA Renderer. There are exceptions; Radio Swiss Classical and Jazz for example. I haven't worked out exactly what makes a Stream work with a DLNA Renderer, and what makes it fail. It could be only Streams that have specific programming in MC work. But then I have Streamed Radio JRiver, but it doesn't always work. Also, JRiver is still changing stuff for CloudPlay, which seems to be affecting Radio JRiver.

Anything that plays audio directly in a browser using the Windows Default Audio Device can't be Streamed.

Some sites or URLs are detected as Streams and work fine. Some use a popup browser window and don't. Your WQXR Playlist URL plays in a browser window. It isn't going to stream to a DLNA device. It never did.

If a source plays locally, to your default "Player" Zone, and uses the JRiver Audio Engine when it does, then it may Stream okay. You can tell if a source is playing using the JRiver Audio Engine by looking at the Audio Path in MC. It will say if it is not. If MC pops up a question asking if you want to play the stream, that is a good sign that it is trying to play using the JRiver Audio Engine. Also, the Pause, Play, and Stop buttons in MC will work. However, Radio JRiver meets those criteria, and can't won't Stream to a DLNA Renderer.

The WTMD Player URL and "Listen Now" link uses the JRiver Audio Engine, but won't Stream to a DLNA Renderer. The WTMD Baltimore channel doesn't use the JRiver Audio Engine, as examples.

The web media URL you posted in 3 is broken. I can't work out what that URL was supposed to be. It may work, if you could correct that URL.

Standard YouTube doesn't provide the ability to download content. Why would it be possible in MC? Also YouTube plays in a browser window, not in MC. I could be wrong on this, but I think if you have been downloading stuff from YouTube, perhaps in a separate browser window, you must have installed a utility to do so at some time.

The MC Installation creates a shortcut for MC. Use that. If you need a shortcut in another location, copy the existing one and paste it where you need it. If you really need to create a shortcut from an exe, use the correct exe, "Media Center 25.exe", not "MC25.exe". You are doing it wrong now, probably right-clicking on some other file, perhaps the mjr licence file, or an installation file. Google how to manage shortcuts.

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up