INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD Playback  (Read 1419 times)

tbone66

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
CD Playback
« on: May 15, 2003, 06:13:31 pm »

I haven't played a CD through MC in a while.  Tried to rip a new one last week (build 171, I believe) and when I played the ripped tracks back, they stuttered badly and were basically unusable.

I played those ripped tracks through WMP and the results were the same.  I then tried to play the CD and MC would simply cycle endlessly through the tracks without actually playing any of them.

I ran the whole process again with 172 and now 174 and still have the same results.

I played the disc back through Real Player just to see and it loaded it just fine (got the disc info as well).

I am running WinXP Pro on a homebuilt system:

Epox 8k5a3+ mb
XP 1700 proc
512MB RAM (PC2700)
LiteOn LTD166 DVD-ROM (UDMA 2)
LiteOn LTR-48246S 48X CD-RW (UDMA 1)
All Windows updates, latest firmware revisions, etc.

oops!  Now I'm freaked out!

As I was typing, I realized I hadn't tried playing the disc back with digital playback disabled.  Loaded MC, disabled DA playback and, voila! - the music began!

Here's where it gets weird:  I could jump to subsequent tracks . . . but could not get playback to STOP!  In fact, I shut MC down . . . and I'm STILL LISTENING TO THE DISC!!  MC is NOT showing in the Apps portion of the Windows Task Manager and no other audio app is open.
I don't see any processes that I can directly link to MC either.  Weird!

Ok, the track finished playing.  I restarted MC, made sure DA playback was checked, and now have the beginning scenario of cycling through the tracks with no playback.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to make sure I drew a complete picture.

Thanks for any feedback!

TBone

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: CD Playback
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2003, 08:15:55 am »

Please email me and I'll send you something to help troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks,
johnt @ jriver.com
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

tbone66

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2003, 12:32:18 pm »

Well, now I REALLY need the solution to this!  The partition on the external hard drive where my ripped files were stored is no more.  Not so bad since I was considering re-ripping the collection at different settings anyway.

The problem is, I still cannot play a CD through MC!  Same as before, other players are working just fine, only MC seems unable to play the tracks.

I'd really like to get this process going.  Right now, the only playback ability I have is the tuner and, strangely, the DVD playback is still functional.

HEELLLLPPPPP!!

Thanks!  :P

Tbone

tbone66

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Bump
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003, 04:22:48 pm »

[edited by JimH for brevity and clarity]

I hate the idea of having to reinstall the program and use up a restore when I have no idea of what the problem is.

If other players (WMP and RP) were having problems as well, I'd look elsewhere in the system, but MC is the only one not playing properly.

Fast forward 10 mins

Well, thought I'd install MJ8 (different directory on a different partition) and it will not load (says it can't load this newer version of a database - upgrade to the latest version of MJ8 - did and no difference!), it destroyed my MC9 install.

No hardware components/settings have changed on my system in months.  No software has been installed/updated other than MC9 between my last successful rip/play and noticing this new problem.

Well, I've uninstalled both MJ8 and MC9 and will now reboot so I can get rid of the MC9 folder.  Hopefully, the registry has been cleaned up  ;) and I can continue with a fresh install of MC9 that plays my CD's again!

Tbone

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2003, 04:33:29 pm »

There is a page on switching between MJ8 and MC9 here:

www.mediajukebox.com/license

It might help.

tbone66

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2003, 04:57:05 pm »

Thanks for the link, Jim.

Unfortunately, reinstalling MC9 did not fix the problem.

If anyone has had a similar issue, regardless of version, and was able to resolve it - please post your solution!

Thanks in advance,

Tbone
Pages: [1]   Go Up