INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library reset, keep ratings?  (Read 525 times)

audioriver

• Citizen of the Universe
Library reset, keep ratings?
« on: March 28, 2019, 09:30:02 am »

I'm toying with the idea of resetting the library and creating a fresh one. I wanted to ask if it's possible to do this, but keep current track ratings (or somehow "export" and apply them to the new library). Note that I'm not applying the ratings to the file tags themselves (that'd easily solve it, I guess) - they only reside in the library.
Windows 10 Pro x64

blgentry

Re: Library reset, keep ratings?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 02:23:48 pm »

Putting the tags in the library is the safest and most well known procedure.  It won't even take all that long, though MC necessarily will have to write to every file in your library that has any tagged fields that are no already saved inside the file.

The other way to do this that I know of is using the "Export Playlist" and "Import Playlist" functions.  MC has a playlist type called "MPL", which is a form of XML.  If you select this type, you can do it from a view that shows only the fields you want to show like Album, Artist, Name, Rating, etc.  I would include filename as well.  Once this is exported, you can re-import it into a fresh library and it should populate those fields only.

MPL export/import is a little bit weird though.  I've occasionally had to do the import TWICE in order to get the fields to populate.  I have not experimented with it in several years now, so my memory isn't all that sharp about it.  You might do some searches and read old threads about it.

It's honestly much easier to just save the field or fields to your media files.  But you can try this.  Hell, you can even build a test library to play with and leave your main library intact.  That way it's totally non-destructive.

Good luck.

Brian.

audioriver

Re: Library reset, keep ratings?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 03:04:28 pm »

Thank you Brian, I will try the MPL export/import.
Windows 10 Pro x64
Pages: [1]   Go Up