INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metadata Tags question  (Read 793 times)

Warbird777

• Recent member
Metadata Tags question
« on: May 19, 2003, 08:02:12 am »

Dear JR,

Can you please tell me which Metadata tags are read into the Library when JPEG files are imported?

And which File Properties will be stored into the JPG file itself when editing the File Properties in MC?

The beauty of MJ for me, is that I keep all my media file description information in the media files themselves. For MP3 files I use a different app (MP3 Studio) to clean up the ID3 tags. Once they are clean, I delete the MJ library and re-import everything.

I even use the ID3 Comment field to hold keywords. In this way I can filter using MJ's find feature.

This approach has several benefits:
1. The tag info in the files always exactly matches the contents of the MJ library. I do not have to sync two sets of info.

2. I never need to backup the library, only Playlists.

3. The media file is portable, the description info goes with the file. I can send it to my buddy who may use a different app and he can see all the descriptive information about that file.

I am trying to use the same technique for JPEG images. It seems one issue is that there is no one JPEG tagging standard. Or rather their are too many. I am just beginning to explore the many IPTC and EXIF tagging options for image files, as well as the embedded tags that ACDSee and others may take advantage of.

I appears that MC9 is using a superset of the Component Type List for MP3 files. Many of which have no relevance to images, like Track#. I looks like you are trying to use a single list that can be applied to all media files.

Why not just use the JPEG "Title" and "Caption" tags?

For images the only must haves might be Title and Album(s). Those could be encoded into the Title and Caption tags.

Just a thought.

Thanks again for the killerest Jukebox app ever.

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up