INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: License Question  (Read 1237 times)

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
  • "I picked a helluva day to install MC!"
License Question
« on: April 03, 2019, 04:36:35 pm »

Man, I do not understand temporary install keys. And I don't encounter them enough to remember how you all told me to fix it last time.

Here I am, copying and pasting my MC25 license key, and then I get an email. Then I launch MC25 and all my audio files are gone. JRemote still works fine, streaming from my Id, but my Win10 desktop can't see any files.

Help!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: License Question
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 05:01:37 pm »

If you have copied and pasted the MC25 licence key into MC25, then the licence should already have been installed. The email, and the mjr file attached to it, are a backup or for use in other installations on the same operating system, or another OS if you have a Master Licence. An mjr file will work for 14 days after you receive it, then it expires and can't be used anymore to licence an installation.

If you can't see any files on the Win10 Desktop you just updated, find the latest Library Backup from the previous version, and Restore it with settings to MC25.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 05:02:19 pm »

Install Keys are good for 14 days, then you need to Restore using your Registration Code.  Details are here:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License  Just search for instructions, using Google.

You can backup your library and settings in an older version and restore them in MC25.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 07:25:40 pm »

Nope. Nothing works. Still getting emails from Wave telling me my temporary Install key. My mjr file expired long ago. I need help.

And my files are still gone, after having restored my library.

Anyone want to help me one-on-one? Help me look up my registration code, since the one I'm using isn't working?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 07:42:51 pm »

The link I gave you should provide what you need.  Please read carefully.

The usual causes of problems are:

1.  Wrong version installed.

2.  Typo in the license.  Using copy and paste helps.

An Install Key is only good for 14 days.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 08:03:49 pm »

I don't understand. I have a registration code. My mjr file (Install Key) is long since expired and gone. I purchased the upgrade way before MC25 was available. When I launch MC, the "about" page tells me that I'm using 25.0.18 (64-bit). And when I request all of my registration codes, it nicely tells me that I have been using MC since version 18, and also that I have 7 restores of MC 25 left.

But if I need a new mjr file, wouldn't the instructions in your link tell me how to get one? I haven't figured that out. It's not here. https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

I'm only using copy/paste with codes, so I feel quite confident that I'm doing that part right.

It would be fabulous to have a numbered sequence of steps describing how to upgrade. I'm even willing to draft it, as soon as I understand it.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 09:26:11 pm »

Use your Registration Code to do a Restore. 

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 11:36:08 pm »

He has already done a Licence Restore by the sound of it Jim. He is getting emails from "wave <buy-button@jriver.com>", and has used some Licence Restores already.

This2ShallPass, your copy of MC25 is most likely already licenced. Look in in the menu "Help > Registration Information" to check that. It will look something like the attached image.

Now, okay, so you can't see your files. You have Restored a Library Backup into MC25, but if you still can't see files in MC, I would bet that you restored a backup from after you did the MC25 upgrade, and the backup was of an empty MC25 Library.

Find a Library Backup from before you upgraded to MC25. Lets say about April 1st, since you started this thread on April 4th, and I assume you did that soon after the upgrade. Restore that Library Backup into MC25. Do your files appear now.

The Library Backup Wiki article expalins where to find Library Backups, and how to Restore a MC Library. https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup
i.e. Look in "C:\Users\[User ID]\Documents\JRiver\Media Center 24\Library Backups" if you are using the standard Location for MC24, or look at the setting in "Tools > Options > File Location > Program Files > Library Backups" if you don't find the backup there.

-------------------

Some information:

A "Registration Code" is a 30 digit code made up of six groups of five alphanumeric digits. It can be copied and pasted to register MC and have a new email sent to you with a "Install Key".
An "Install Key" is a file, with the extension mjr. Double clicking on that file actually installs the licence into MC. You say your old one has expired, but a new one is attached to each registration email you received from "wave <buy-button@jriver.com>", and each "Install Key" is valid for 14 days.

Anyway, it is all in the "Restoring a License" Wiki article. Read it very very carefully, at least three times.

------------------- https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License -------------------(with a few edits in blue)

Restore a license by using your Registration Code on the Restore Page.

In MC18 and above, this can be done from within the program, under Help > Install License, or within the startup dialog shown by the trial.
You must have the correct version of MC installed first.
The Install Key is a temporary, portable license file(.mjr file type), generated when you restore.

The Install Key is how you actually apply your license to a particular copy of MC.
When you Restore [a Licence], the Install Key is automatically applied to any copy of MC on the computer used to perform the Restore.
It [the Install Key] is emailed to you upon successful registration, and whenever you Restore [a Licence]. Look for mail from buy-button at jriver.   EDIT: The email is now "wave <buy-button@jriver.com>".

During a Restore, you can also save it from within the browser window.
This Install Key file can be used to license MC on your other PCs (within reason). To do so, execute the Install Key by double clicking on it from Windows Explorer or the Finder. Mac and Linux licenses won't work on Windows and Windows licenses won't work on Mac or Linux.
You must have the correct version of MC installed first. Your license must be for the correct OS type (Windows, Mac or Linux).
Each Install Key (mjr file) is good for 14 days.

After that, you must Restore again.
Using the Install Key does not use a restore.
You can Restore your license, and generate another Install Key up to ten times per rolling calendar year.

If you use all your restores, please post on the forum. We can reset the count, but this won't be done unless you have run out.

-------------------
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 09:18:45 am »

Thank you Roderick. Yes, there are 2 parts, and indeed: They aren't related.

Thing 1: License Restore - I typed up the steps necessary for me to successfully restore my license. They are as follows.

1. Launch MC
2. Select the "Help" menu, select "Registration Info"
3. Click "Reset and Restore License"
4. Click "Yes" to "Are you sure you want to remove and reset your current registration?"
5. Copy and Paste your permanent MC License code - 30 characters/numerals - into the space provided, and click "OK"
6. Observe "License for Media Center was successfully installed!" message and click "OK". You are not done.
7. Receive email from "wave" (buy-button@jriver.com) informing you that you have one fewer temporary installs available
8. Download the file attachment (.mjr file) from the wave email within 14 days of email receipt
9. Launch the .mjr file, observe another "License for Media Center was successfully installed!" message and click "OK".

I think the main point is that you need to receive TWO identical messages that say, "License for Media Center was successfully installed!" and not to settle for just the first one.

Thing 2: Restoring a backup. I agree with you! I was convinced that the MC25 install had changed my library settings, and that I only needed to find an older backup. Indeed, I'm now looking for an MC24 backup, as the MC25 backups were not helpful, even the 032919 version. Onward.
Pages: [1]   Go Up