INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote 3.28 audio streaming problem  (Read 1474 times)

jfschroeder

• Recent member
JRemote 3.28 audio streaming problem
« on: April 04, 2019, 10:00:00 pm »

Just got JRemote 3.28, mostly great. I get an audio streaming error pop up on some of my ALAC files. I discovered the problem seems to be that the files have embedded PNG format images. I changed them to jpg and playback worked.

MC25, iOS 12, iPad or iPhone, windows 10

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRemote 3.28 audio streaming problem
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 10:10:16 pm »

Playing to a DAC?

jfschroeder

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 05:42:39 pm »

Nope - just on the iPhone or iPad.  I haven't tried my DAC with it yet.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 05:48:57 pm »

Could we get one of the files that has the problem?

jfschroeder

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 10:23:38 pm »

happy to share - let me know where to put them (too large to post here at ~30MB)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 06:55:12 am »

Dropbox or similar.

jfschroeder

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 09:12:27 am »

PM'd you a dropbox link for one of the files.  It is not exactly the same issue as the files with PNG images that I found wouldn't play.  This is just a regular ALAC file that I ripped years ago.  Definitely not every album, but so far when one file doesn't play, the whole album doesn't.  Works fine if I choose transcode in JRemote.  Other files play fine, right up to 96/24 ALACs, which surprised me.

I rip everything into ALAC using the current iTunes version on Windows, then scan the album artwork from the CD so its at least 500x500, and add it to each file with iTunes. Nothing exotic.  My collection is large (>20K files).

I tried using the DAC - didn't change anything.  I couldn't get DSF files to play natively - have to transcode them, but I figure that's a separate thread for another time.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 11:15:01 am »

A few years ago, I recall having an ALAC track that would not play in JRemote due to its embedded album art.

In my case I don’t recall if the issue was caused by the art being JPG or PNG. However I can say that it was definitely caused by the byte size of the embedded image; to be specific the original image byte size was in the hundreds of kBytes and that failed to play in JRemote, whereas if it was replaced by an image sized in the tens of kBytes it worked fine.

As far as I recall this size issue was specific to playing on JRemote, and both versions of the file playing just fine when played in MC natively. And also working fine in iTunes. EDIT: and — tellingly — also working fine when playing transcoded to JRemote.

The JRiver guys, and I, never really found the exact cause of my problem, and if you know the work around, you can — well — work around it. However my suspicion is that it is either a) something to do with the way that JRemote parses the M4A “boxes” that contain the album art — perhaps an integer wrap around on say 256kBytes (or 512k etc.), or alternatively b) a buffer size problem in that JRemote has to skip over too much RAM in order to get to the part of the buffer where the music stream “box” is located.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

jfschroeder

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 08:17:40 pm »

I found that JRemote didn't like the encoding - I used iTunes 'convert to apple lossless' function, even though it already was.  The new files play on JRemote without transcoding.  Now to find out how to identify the problem files.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 09:43:31 am »

I found that JRemote didn't like the encoding - I used iTunes 'convert to apple lossless' function, even though it already was.  The new files play on JRemote without transcoding.  Now to find out how to identify the problem files.
Even with the same cover art embedded?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 02:06:35 am »

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 10:36:53 am »

PS I think the following thread applies..

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,98810.msg721988.html#msg721988
I looked at that, downsizing cover art worked for some, not others.
I'm not sure it's cover art. I see MC calling for it and also looking for assets but since I can't reproduce it.
It IS possible that one fix I made for assets (the path wasn't being escaped properly) is allowing some assets that were not being seen before to mess things up. It would be useful to know what else is in that album directory.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 04:29:22 pm »

I am not sure this is an issue inside MC since MC can anyway play those files, so it sounds to me more like something inside JRemote. ??

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 01:42:56 pm »

I am not sure this is an issue inside MC since MC can anyway play those files, so it sounds to me more like something inside JRemote. ??
The JRemote will grab those assets if they exist, it's possible they are something it can't handle (as opposed to MC). Still would be good to know what's in that directory.

jfschroeder

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2019, 09:16:44 pm »

Even with the same cover art embedded?
Nothing else was in the directory. I didn’t change the cover art   Did experiment with removing it. That didn’t help. I don’t think I ripped these particular albums originally , so am chalking it up to the encoder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up