INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internet of give us everyThing  (Read 1199 times)

DJLegba

• Citizen of the Universe
Internet of give us everyThing
« on: April 05, 2019, 07:45:38 pm »

I just bought a BroadLink RM mini3 remote. My DAC has an IR remote and I figured it would be nice to use an app when I'm out of IR range.

The first BroadLink app I downloaded wanted access to my phone's IMEI number "to prevent theft". And to my contacts list, for some reason I can't remember. The next BroadLink app wanted access to photos, media, and files, to take pictures and record videos, to access the device's location, and to make and manage phone calls. Apparently it makes constant contact with HQ in China.

Internet of Not For Me. It's going back to Amazon. Why do they sell crap like this? It was an Amazon Prime sale.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Internet of give us everyThing
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 07:47:45 pm »

It's getting extremely confusing.

DJLegba

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 08:11:41 pm »

It's getting extremely confusing.

What's confusing about theft?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 07:06:05 am »

I meant when to give your details.

Ten years ago, people were much more trusting and companies were better behaved. 

Every time I use my credit card now, I think about the probability of it being stolen.  Same with passwords, email, social security #, etc.

But you can't live in a cave.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 05:58:09 pm »

I hope you reported them to Amazon.

Sometimes these are Bad Players, sometimes they are just incompetent programmers. I wouldn't want to use products from either.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

DJLegba

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 07:09:21 pm »

I hope you reported them to Amazon.

Sometimes these are Bad Players, sometimes they are just incompetent programmers. I wouldn't want to use products from either.

I left a bad review (which I don't see yet but I haven't checked today) and filled in the product return form on Amazon. There's a spot for comments, and I reported the security issues. Unfortunately, a lot of people who buy these things either don't care or don't understand what they're opening up.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 07:37:34 pm »

On Android you can also choose to deny access to the permissions it asks for (even selectively), and many apps still work then. Of course that doesn't improve the quality of anything that way.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up