INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album Sorting ... Revisited  (Read 1450 times)

Seviien

• World Citizen
  • SteveG for President! :)
Album Sorting ... Revisited
« on: May 13, 2003, 12:56:17 pm »

Sorting was a hot topic a while back, and thankfully, I think most issues have been well addressed.  Sorting under the thumbnails grouped by album, however, remains a bit sticky.  Right now, albums sort, i believe, by the artist of the first track.  This works out well for sorting LP's, but compilation albums are notoriously difficlut to find.  A couple builds ago the sort was switched to key off the album name; the result was counterintuitive, becuase albums by the same artist were scattered all over the place.

The most logical solution seems to be to key the sorting off of the field "Album Artist" -- not the auto generated album artist, just the plain old field.  Soundtracks, and compilation albums could simply be tagged as "various artists" under album artists and therefore sort logically right alongside albums by a single artists.

This sound good to anyone else?

NoCodeUK

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Album Sorting ... Revisited
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 01:04:34 pm »

I think this is the best idea.  I suggested this at the time but it was passed over in favour of returning to the old method.  I think Matt thought I meant the auto lbum artist field which was why it was discounted...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

fex

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 01:17:41 pm »

Sounds like a very bad idea to me. My girlfriend likes her compilations over all. I hate most of them.

What should I do if she could find them easy over an (indeed logical) album sorting like this?  ;)

NoCodeUK

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 01:40:29 pm »

Set her up a separate library with just her compil;ations in then you never have to see them and we can get album sorting in a more logical way ;D

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

jimpmc

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2003, 02:47:33 pm »

I too am in favor of sorting by the album artist tag (then album).  That should allow everyone the most flexibility -- if you fill in the album artist tag with the artist, then it works as it does now.  If you leave it blank, it would effectively sort by album name.  And if you fill it in with a consistent value for compliations, i.e. Various Artists, then those would be grouped together.  Hopefully, this could be implemented in a v9 build.

-J

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2003, 12:48:57 am »

I also agree to the suggestions of having them sorted by the "Album Artist" field.

However, in my opinion this should have to be only a first step to a more flexible way to sort in thumbnail (album grouped) view, via a right-click menu or something to that effect. It would be great to right click on the right window where the thumbnails are and find an option to "sort" by any of the fields (album, year, etc.) This way you could use different sorting options when browsing the artists. Sometimes, when browsing the artist albums I would like to be able to sort by year instead of alphabetically.

I would also like to have the ability to sort by year in the tree panel.

Thank you.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2003, 03:54:29 am »

Hear, hear.  i mentioned this a while back but it seems it will not be in the version 9.0 lifetime.  L:ets hope it can be added for 9.1 or 10.0...

Seviien

• World Citizen
  • SteveG for President! :)
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2003, 09:50:16 pm »

I think those are nice ideas guys, but they might be a little ambitious for v9.  That said, with regards to just the "album artist" field idea... it'd be nice to hear from someone from JRiver if it made any sense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up