INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Always Load Default Library is not working  (Read 2010 times)

pgrisham

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Always Load Default Library is not working
« on: April 06, 2019, 09:14:42 am »

I have just noticed this. I am currently at version 25.0.18 64-bit and can repeat this issue. My main library is the one saved under the users/name/AppData/Roaming .......

My second library is the one I had to create a new folder for, so I am assuming the first option is the library that should be loading if I have the default library option checked.

Is there something else I should consider?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Always Load Default Library is not working
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 06:05:34 pm »

The setting is still working fine for me. I use it all the time. I turned it off, changed libraries, restarted MC so the library I had open previously opened, turned it on, restarted MC, and the Default Library was opened.

Maybe try turning the setting off, restarting MC, then turning it on again, and then test if it is working. That might resave the setting and fix any issue.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

pgrisham

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 10:55:15 pm »

I have tried that method already (twice), and still no luck. I noticed it not working because I use it all the time as well. How could it work for some users and not others? Seems strange.

Regardless, it is definitely NOT working for me on version 25.0.18. I just don't know when it quit working.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 12:18:09 am »

If you open the main library in MC, then turn off the setting so that MC will open the last opened Library, restart MC, does it open the correct Library? i.e. The Main Library? Check the path to the currently open Library under Playing Now. Does it point to users/name/AppData/Roaming...?

If MC points to the correct location, but the Library contents are wrong, have you perhaps Restored a Library Backup of the secondary Library into the Main Library by mistake? I guess you could check by opening each library in turn and seeing if the contents are the same.

If so you could find a recent backup of the correct Main Library, if there is one, and Restore it.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

pgrisham

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 09:04:36 pm »

RoderickGI - Yes, I tried what you said and it opens the main library, which is in the right location. Each library's contents are accurate and where they are supposed to be. It does not seem to be a mix-up in any way. It just seems to ignore the checkbox to always load the default library.

I confirmed that main library is in the typical location listed in my first post. I also confirmed that my second library is in a new folder that I had to create when I added the second library. (I put the folder on a different drive to keep my libraries separate.) I tried again doing the whole procedure every different conceivable way. Nothing sticks. My startup loads the last used library no matter what I do. I also uninstalled the old version of MC once I got 25 set up, so it's not getting bothered by an old version.

I am truly puzzled.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 12:01:49 am »

I am truly puzzled.

Alas, so am I.

Did you try reinstalling MC25 over the top of the existing installation, now that you have removed the earlier version of MC?

It probably won't help, but worth a try.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 10:56:56 am »

It just seems to ignore the checkbox to always load the default library.

Is the UI checkbox itself sticky? i.e. regardless of whether it “works” does a checked UI box re-appear after a restart as checked, and an unchecked UI box re-appear as unchecked. Reason for asking is that there will be a registry entry behind that check box, which if it had been munged might cause the stickiness not to work. Also if you had a permissions issue preventing registry writes..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

pgrisham

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 08:39:46 pm »

I just confirmed that this works as it should on my other computer-a laptop. So whatever this is, it has something to do with my Windows setup on my desktop. I really do use this feature, but I fear I will never be able to figure out why as the answer apparently lies somewhere in the throes of the Windows registry...

BTW I completely uninstalled, including library files, and reinstalled. Then I restored my library from a backup and the problem is still there on my desktop.

Oh well. Thanks for the suggestions anyway!

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 02:38:34 am »

Is it a company owned laptop? Many companies run security policies that lock down registry access for SysAdmins only. You might ask your IT guys to lift this. But you’ll have to explain to them why you’re listening to music while you should be working lol.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

pgrisham

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 10:57:53 am »

No-the laptop works great (and it's not a company setup anyway). It's my home desktop rig that won't cooperate.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 11:17:25 pm »

Okay, so the Registry record (see attached image) that stores the setting is:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 25\Properties
Startup - Always load default library

In hexadecimal;
1 means always load the default library
0 mean load the last library used

Check that the record exists in your Registry. If not, something bad happened. Maybe you are running a Registry Cleaner of some sort, and it is deleting entries? Registry Cleaners are bad. Some other software?

See if you can change the setting to "1" and if that fixes the issue. Or add the record if required.

pgrisham

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 07:34:35 pm »

Just checked the registry and it is all there and the value is set to 1. There must be another registry setting somewhere.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 09:54:15 pm »

I tested was the correct Registry setting by changing it, checking it changed in MC (ticked/unticked), and checking that the behaviour changed. It is the correct one.

There may be copies of the same setting elsewhere in the Registry though. Linked to the Machine rather than the Current User for example. But I think this one takes precedence.

If changing it changes nothing in MC, we have a difference between our systems, and potentially the cause for your issue. So does changing the setting in MC change the value in the Registry, and the reverse? Regardless of the function in MC, just the settings.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 06:52:19 am »

Dumb question - but what is considered to be the default Library on a client computer?

Is it the one that is "active" at the time you check the "use default" button (say you only use the Server computer's Library), or is the main Library on the client (even if it is not populated)?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 04:31:33 pm »

The Default Library in any MC installation on Windows is always the Library stored in "\Users\[UserID]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 25\Library".

It is originally called "Main Library" I think, but I have renamed mine. It is never a Server Library. Yes, it can be empty and never used.
Pages: [1]   Go Up