INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV Audio  (Read 1663 times)

Not Me

• Recent member
TV Audio
« on: April 06, 2019, 09:05:59 pm »

There is a depreciated page with this info:
TV Audio
You can select audio mode offered by broadcasters. Usually you can choose among "Stereo", "Mono", "Language A", "Language B" (or SAP) etc.

As noted this no longer appears in the TV Advanced section. The problem I have is that I think I need to use something like this and I have no idea where to look for it. I am trying to watch (not record - recording work fine) the Final Four on my local channel. I can get sound but it is weird in that I can't hear the announcers. If I use HD Home Run to watch the TV the sound is fine. If I record it the sound is fine. But on live TV I get what appears to be an alternate sound selection. I have watched some ESPN where they were offering a feed from the overhead cameras and this sound like that did.

Is there any way to fix this?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: TV Audio
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 08:49:48 am »

That info is for analog TV.  I am not sure it is still applicable though.

For digital TV, try right-click, Audio Programs, during playback.  Some channels (mis-)label them as "English", "Spanish", etc.  but actually only broadcast English.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Not Me

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 05:09:12 pm »

OK, I right clicked and got a menu. In that vast menu there are audio options that list things like PID 53, Spanish, Dolby AC3 and PID 52, English, Dolby AC3. Oddly enough switching between them they are both in English but there is some sort of audible difference between them.

I am using a 2 channel system with a Roland Super UA DAC decoder. I don't think that it knows about Dolby but I seem to get audio anyway. Do I need to have a system with a real multi-channel decoder to watch TV with correct audio?

Can someone recommend a primer that would let morons like me understand all of the issues I seem to be facing here? E.G. how to get stereo out of a Dolby stream, etc. Or should I just give up and only use HD Homerun for live TV? If I record the program there does not seem to be any issue, only if I want to watch live TV.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 06:47:02 pm »

If your source is multi-channel and the device you're playing to isn't, then MC can convert.

In the Player Menu, choose DSP Studio, then Output Settings.  See Channels on the right.  Be sure to check Output Settings so that is active.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 09:36:56 pm »

OK, I right clicked and got a menu. In that vast menu there are audio options that list things like PID 53, Spanish, Dolby AC3 and PID 52, English, Dolby AC3. Oddly enough switching between them they are both in English but there is some sort of audible difference between them.

Most TV stations in the US use Dolby AC3 audio.  Often, but necessarily always, the second audio program is "Audio for visually impaired".  I made the suggestion to check these choices just in case the wrong one was accidentally selected.  Other non-TV-specific audio settings, such as DSP studio, as Jim suggested, may be more relevant.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 07:05:53 pm »

Following on from this post:
Still can't hear correct audio on football games. As instructed I right click on the Audio Program and get two choices. The first is the overhead without the announcers, the 2nd is the normal feed but with Spanish language. I don't speak Spanish so that is no help. As I have said previously the HdHome run software gives me the correct audio by default so I know it can be done. So far this is only a problem with college football (in this case the Penn state / Michigan game on 10/19). Also I don't understand how one can set up the SAP for recording? I closed Media Center (without clicking the stop button on the vcr control) and the audio keep running. I had to reboot. I have been having this problem for the last 2 versions. I just renewed for MC 26 so I hope that we can get it fixed someday.

It is interesting that when you record you get the sound you want, but not on live TV. There shouldn't be any difference between the audio available in recordings and Live TV, unless you are selecting a different audio PID in Live TV manually.

1. As per Jim's comment, set the Output Format in DSP Studio to Stereo so that MC will down-convert to stereo and play to your Roland Super UA DAC correctly.
2. Play the channel in question, preferably when a football game is on, and use the right-click process to select the audio that you want. Take note of what that audio stream was called and the PID number.
2a. Try selecting the "Use current audio stream as default" option in the right-click menu, just below the audio stream selection. That should change the channel data so that MC always uses that audio stream.
3. Go to "Options > Television > Manage Channels > {select the channel in question}", then check the "Audio PID" information in the dialogue on the right. It should now be set to the Audio PID you selected above. If not, click the Edit button and change the Audio PID to the number you determined above. Save the changes.

Now MC should use the correct audio stream whether you record a football game or watch it live.

Test this, and if it doesn't work, report back what actually happened. Be specific. In fact, if it doesn't work, play the football game in the HDHomerun software and see if you can work out what Audio PID it is using, when the audio sounds correct to you. That is what you should be using in MC as well. If it sounds funny in MC when using that PID then something in the DSP must be set incorrectly. That is a separate issue that can be tackled once you get the correct PID set for the channel.

I guess it is possible that the broadcaster only transmits a particular audio stream, or set of streams, for football games, and otherwise uses a different set of audio streams (PIDs). But that is unlikely, so the above should work.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 09:29:07 am »

Previously I had actually missed the info about "recorded show works".  As RoderickGI suggested, it probably means that the audio PID selection should have worked.  Do as he suggested, to make sure that recording used the same PID as live playback.

Which format do you use for recording?  If you use JTV format, then audio PID selection matters since we only record one audio stream, whichever is selected, or the first one if none is selected.  If you record in TS format, then audio PID selection does not really matter since all audio streams are recorded.  In this latter case you can examine which audio stream is being used during playback and see if it agrees with the audio selection during live TV playback.

Once you establish that the audio PID selection during live playback and that in playing recorded shows are the same, then the problem is not with audio program selection.  It is more likely an issue with audio DSP setup.
Pages: [1]   Go Up