INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver MC25 fails to learn commands from a Microsoft Media Center Remote system  (Read 1039 times)

LazyBorzoi

• Recent member

I got  a Dell MCR IR receiver with a remote that works with JRiver MC25 by default (I didn't have to change anything at all). The model number is OVU4003/00 in case someone is wondering.
The problem I encountered is the following:
I would like to use another remote (from my preamp) to control the MC25. I went to the remote tab in MC25 and started the learning process. I press a button on my preamp remote while pointing at the IR receiver. I can see the receiver blink (red light comes on) which tells me that it sees my command but the MC25 does absolutely nothing (the program still says learning and it never changes to learned).
Any idea what I might be doing wrong or how to fix it?
Thanks!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

The simple answer is that MC will only learn MCE commands, and those are the commands that it already knows about, so doesn't need to learn.

This has been an ongoing issue for me. Search the forum for posts and threads, and specifically for answers from Hendrik. Also search the Wiki as there is some good information in there. Some very old. https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Center_Remote_Instructions

Under "Options > Remote Control > Devices & Options > Selected input devices" check both "Microsoft MCE" and "Remote, Keyboard, gamepad, or other HID", which may or may not help.

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

LazyBorzoi

• Recent member

The simple answer is that MC will only learn MCE commands, and those are the commands that it already knows about, so doesn't need to learn.

This has been an ongoing issue for me. Search the forum for posts and threads, and specifically for answers from Hendrik. Also search the Wiki as there is some good information in there. Some very old. https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Center_Remote_Instructions

Under "Options > Remote Control > Devices & Options > Selected input devices" check both "Microsoft MCE" and "Remote, Keyboard, gamepad, or other HID", which may or may not help.

Thank you.
Yeah, both "Microsoft MCE" and "Remote, Keyboard, gamepad, or other HID" are selected in my case and it still doesn't work.
What I did is I made my preamp remote learn the commands from the MCE remote but ... it works every other time.
Especially skip forward and skip backward buttons. It's very weird... So if I press skip forward once, it would skip to the next track but if I press it again, nothing happens.
I found a workaround for this though. If I press Pause and then skip forward, it seems to work every time. I can't explain this behavior but at least it works!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

If an IR Remote works intermittently it is often just weak batteries. Something I always try when I get strange results like that.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

LazyBorzoi

• Recent member

If an IR Remote works intermittently it is often just weak batteries. Something I always try when I get strange results like that.

No, unfortunately, that is not the issue. I put fresh batteries in and I can see the IR receiver blink every time I press a button on my preamp remote but the MC doesn't react to it on every press.
For example, I press the Skip to next track button and it works the first time. But then if I press it again (and I do wait a few seconds too), nothing happens.
However, if I first press Pause and then Skip, it seems to work.
WTF???

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

IR Remote controls are an arcane form of magic.

I have noticed that sometimes the Skip ( >>| ) button can be a little problematic. But not to the extent you are talking about. Maybe after the first press MC is in a state where it won't accept a second press. Perhaps to protect you from yourself and prevent double or triple skips. I don't know.

cncb

• MC Beta Team

I am pretty sure the MCE IR remote commands are unique in that they are not quite the same each press.  My old URC remote was never able to learn them at all.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

I am pretty sure the MCE IR remote commands are unique in that they are not quite the same each press. 
They should be.

Bright lights in a room can affect behavior.  Sunlight, for example.

Even a mirror can cause problems sometimes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up