INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Double-click behavior / Playing now  (Read 1133 times)

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
  • I love music and great audio!
Double-click behavior / Playing now
« on: April 09, 2019, 02:10:07 pm »

Hi,

I would like to double-click on an album and have the following outcome:

• The Album replaces whatever's in Playing Now
  • The current View switches to Playing Now
  • Play does NOT begin

This way, I can then choose which track I would like to begin playing from, instead of being forced to hear the first track.

I've tried various combinations in Settings.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Thank you.

Derek Pert
(Windows 11 Pro x64 / 32GB RAM)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Double-click behavior / Playing now
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 07:54:50 pm »

"Options > General > Behaviour > Double-click" when set to "Replace Playing Now (All)" will clear the previous contents of Playing Now. It depends a lot on the View you are using though, and where you double click. In the Album View, double-clicking on the thumbnail will open the bottom pane to show all the tracks. Then double-clicking on the Album name in the heading will add all tracks to Playing Now, replacing what was there. But it will also start playback, even if MC is set to not start playing when files are added to Playing Now. See below.

"Options > General > Behaviour > Jump on Play" has various options, one of which is to jump to Playing Now. There is a similar setting for Theatre View. There is no option to jump to Playing Now when you add something to Playing Now.

"Options > General > Behaviour > Start playing when files added to Playing Now" unticked and playback shouldn't start. But it does in the scenario I used above. That could be unintended functionality. Playback shouldn't start with the setting off. But maybe when double-clicking that setting isn't supposed to be honoured.

So I guess I can't make MC do exactly what you want, at this time. But there are other ways to achieve the result you want, if not the method.

For example:
Setup
Customise the toolbar and add a "Add to Playing Now" button. Perhaps add a "Clear Playing Now" button as well, as I find this useful for quickly clearing all tracks.
In the "View > Split View" top menu, select "Show two views" and "Columns", then select the second split view on the right, select Playing Now in there, then back to the Split View menu and select "Lock View 2". Resize the right-hand pane to your requirements. Playing Now will now always be visible to you.

Use
In the Album View, select an Album you want to play. Click the "Add to Playing Now" button, or right-click on an Album and select "Add to Playing Now". The Album Tracks will appear in the second, right-hand pane.
Select the track you want to play first, and click the Play button. Or just double-click the track.

Keep experimenting. There are lots of ways to use MC.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
  • I love music and great audio!
Re: Double-click behavior / Playing now
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 02:31:42 pm »

Wow. Thank you for the amazingly thorough response! I'll try out some of the ideas and report back here.

P.S. -- I concur with your "could be unintended functionality" note below; I've been wondering that too, for years.
Derek Pert
(Windows 11 Pro x64 / 32GB RAM)
Pages: [1]   Go Up