INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dynamic Range - tag info  (Read 1592 times)

Joeycococo

• Junior Woodchuck
Dynamic Range - tag info
« on: April 10, 2019, 01:02:37 pm »

HI All,

I noticed that Dynamic Range is listed as a field within the tag info. Where do you actually get dynamic range data so that I can see it ?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Dynamic Range - tag info
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 04:46:40 pm »

Dynamic Range is calculated as part of Audio Analysis. It isn't looked up somewhere if that is what you are wanting to look at.

To check, turn off Audio Analysis in Auto Import settings, import a file MC hasn't seen before and check its tags. Then run Audio Analysis on the file and check the tags again.

See https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Volume_Leveling
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 06:38:25 pm »

You can see any tag, like Dynamic Range, in many ways in MC.  You can open the tagging window and look at it for any file.  Or you can add it as a column to any view.

For example, in Playing Now I have a bunch of columns I'm interested in:  Album, Artist, Name, etc.  I also have Dynamic Range there.  Just right click on the header with column titles and select the column you want.  It will then stay there until you remove it. 

You can do this in any place in MC that has columns.

Brian.

Joeycococo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 09:08:54 pm »

To check, turn off Audio Analysis in Auto Import settings, import a file MC hasn't seen before and check its tags. Then run Audio Analysis on the file and check the tags again.

See https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Volume_Leveling

I don't believe I have ever analyzed any of my 30000 song files. Can I do the analysis all at once or is this not a good idea.

Tx

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 09:55:57 pm »

You could do it all at once... but it will take some time. Also, both Dynamic Range tags are written to tags in the files by default, so that other software can use the information. So every file analysed needs to be fully read, then have tags written to it.

Best practice is to test with a small group of files so that you know what to expect, and then choose sections of your Library and work through them all.

There is a standard Smartlist called "Audio -- Task -- Needs audio analysis" that can be used to find any files that you miss along the way. Take a look at the Smartlist definitions, and this: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Miscellaneous_Functions#AudioAnalysisState and this: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82025.0

Also, I'm pretty sure that Audio Analysis is on by default in Auto Import, so if you didn't change that, MC may have actually done the analysis for many files already. The Smartlist will help you work that out.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Joeycococo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 11:58:30 am »

When I select a single album and try tobAnalyze I get an error.

"The last several files have caused errors. Processing has beenbhalted". Ibhave tried a few albums.

Joeycococo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 02:03:25 pm »

It had no issues on my other laptop.

My new question.. how do I display the dynamic range more easily in the album view?

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 03:23:45 pm »

I check the box "audio analysis on import"

So every time I add files they are at that moment analyzed.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 05:51:26 am »

When I select a single album and try tobAnalyze I get an error.

"The last several files have caused errors. Processing has been halted". I have tried a few albums.

I guess that is a good reason to do the analysis in small batches. It sounds like you have some corrupted files.

But then...
It had no issues on my other laptop.

I guess maybe not. Your first laptop must be missing some Windows components, not meet requirements, or something.

My new question.. how do I display the dynamic range more easily in the album view?

Just add a column for it in the detailed view in the lower pane. Right-click the column heading to start the process.

Joeycococo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 11:58:04 am »

Can you give me a couple of screenshots?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 06:17:53 pm »

The pictures tell the story.

After adding a new column, it can be dragged left or right to a new position. It can be resized (width) to show the full heading.

You can add columns based on fields or expressions.

Note that I used the [Dynamic Range (DR)] field in my example, but you may be more interested in the [Dynamic Range (R128)] field.

Joeycococo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 02:52:43 pm »

Wow...many thanks for the screenshots.  I was totally in the wrong place.  I was fiddling around in the View - Custom View area adding 'dynamic range' from the right column to the left. no idea what I was doing.

Joeycococo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 10:18:20 am »

I have set 'Volume Leveling' on but not all of  my library has been analyzed.  Will volume leveling now work for those analyzed songs only? 
Pages: [1]   Go Up