INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internal volume change step  (Read 1875 times)

dabu

• Recent member
Internal volume change step
« on: April 11, 2019, 09:37:56 pm »

I'm using JRiver's internal volume and it works great, except that it takes too long for me to make changes to volume because each step is only 0.5dB (I'm using my multimedia keyboard or my mouse scroll-wheel combination to change the volume). I'd like to increase the volume change speed so that it happens in roughly 4.0dB steps. I realise the 0.5dB change step is not constant throughout the range and want to clarify I don't want to change how that works, I just want to add a multiplier to it so I can move through the volume range quicker. Is there some way to do this? If not, can it be added? 0.5dB is much smaller than the typical 3-5dB used in volume change algorithms and is not an appropriate default.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Internal volume change step
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 01:21:44 pm »

As far as I know, there is no Options menu item to change this behavior.

However, you can define custom keys to do LOTS of different stuff in MC.  For example, you can define keys to change the Volume! 

To customize keys you have to create a file and edit it, then restart MC for the changes to take effect.  Here's a link:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/User_Defined_Global_Keyboard_Shortcuts

Once you have that figured out, you might use lines like these to program your keys:

Code: [Select]
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;Up" Command="10018" Param="5" />
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;Down" Command="10019" Param="5" />

These set up control-UP arrow and control-DOWN arrow to be volume keys, which adjust by 5% each click.  5% is 2.5 dB in MC.  I guess 10% would be 5dB?

Note that this is an additional way of controlling volume.  It doesn't affect your media keys.  I'm not sure how to access them; maybe someone else has some input on that.  Also, the 5% adjustment is the same across the entire range, while MC's normal volume up/down is non-linear and gets bigger at the bottom of the adjustment range as you pointed out.

You might use both:  A new set of keys for coarse adjustments and the existing keys for fine adjustments.  Kind of like a scientific instrument or a fine piece of machinery.

Good luck.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 12:11:51 am »

This is happening because you have "Volume Protection" turned on. You could turn it off, but then you may blow your speakers or ears if you accidentally click on 100% volume.

If you increase the "Startup Volume" to something more reasonable (I believe that the default was 20%), then this may no longer be a concern. I have mine set to 80%, but then I use an external physical volume control knob as well as JRiver's Internal Volume.

Try it out.

Otherwise, Brian's idea about using keyboard shortcuts are your answer.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

dabu

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 03:05:50 am »

As far as I know, there is no Options menu item to change this behavior.

However, you can define custom keys to do LOTS of different stuff in MC.  For example, you can define keys to change the Volume! 

To customize keys you have to create a file and edit it, then restart MC for the changes to take effect.  Here's a link:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/User_Defined_Global_Keyboard_Shortcuts

Once you have that figured out, you might use lines like these to program your keys:

Code: [Select]
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;Up" Command="10018" Param="5" />
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;Down" Command="10019" Param="5" />

These set up control-UP arrow and control-DOWN arrow to be volume keys, which adjust by 5% each click.  5% is 2.5 dB in MC.  I guess 10% would be 5dB?

Note that this is an additional way of controlling volume.  It doesn't affect your media keys.  I'm not sure how to access them; maybe someone else has some input on that.  Also, the 5% adjustment is the same across the entire range, while MC's normal volume up/down is non-linear and gets bigger at the bottom of the adjustment range as you pointed out.

You might use both:  A new set of keys for coarse adjustments and the existing keys for fine adjustments.  Kind of like a scientific instrument or a fine piece of machinery.

Good luck.

Brian.

Thank you. Although having separate buttons would not be acceptable, I think I can kludge something together using an external program that detects volume changes and emits a key combination which MC could then pick up and do an additional "big volume change".

This is happening because you have "Volume Protection" turned on. You could turn it off, but then you may blow your speakers or ears if you accidentally click on 100% volume.

If you increase the "Startup Volume" to something more reasonable (I believe that the default was 20%), then this may no longer be a concern. I have mine set to 80%, but then I use an external physical volume control knob as well as JRiver's Internal Volume.

Try it out.

Otherwise, Brian's idea about using keyboard shortcuts are your answer.

Volume protection is not on. Startup volume has nothing to do with my post.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 07:08:22 pm »

Startup volume has nothing to do with my post.

You are so welcome for my time and attempted assistance. Blacklisted.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

swiv3d

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 07:15:29 pm »

I have used my media keyboard to up and down the volume - it takes a second or perhaps two ( if you forget to hold down the key!). Get real!!!!

dabu

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 08:05:41 am »

I have used my media keyboard to up and down the volume - it takes a second or perhaps two ( if you forget to hold down the key!). Get real!!!!

My convolution filter causes a 1 second delay between hitting a volume button and the volume changing, and in combination with my high key repeat rate, makes it troublesome to change volume by holding the button down. Also, as I already said, I (primarily) use my mouse scroll-wheel to change volume (holding down the back button on the mouse makes it work like the "shift" key and turns the scroll wheel into a volume wheel, and the middle mouse button into a play/pause key - it's great).

Even though this may seem like a small thing, because changing volume is something I do probably 100 times a day it adds up.

So you see, even though something might work fine for you in your circumstances, it might not for other people.

RD James

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 03:00:42 pm »

Your best option is probably to drag the volume slider rather than using the scroll wheel I suppose, if your remote cannot be remapped to send that command.
I'd say that fine-grained volume control is a selling point, but I wouldn't be opposed to an option that would let you set how much one volume up/down input adjusts it by.

Even though this may seem like a small thing, because changing volume is something I do probably 100 times a day it adds up.
Analyze your library and start using Volume Leveling.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 01:42:45 pm »

This is probably pretty obvious, but wouldn't a hardware volume control be a good thing to have for you?  A hardware knob has features that keys and mice don't have.  Nearly instant access to all volume levels.  Infinite (almost) adjustments for fine tuning the level.  No reliance on software, mapping, programs, etc. 

Those are some of the reasons that I have one.  I use a compact passive preamp with a *BUTTER SMOOTH* ALPS volume pot.  It's rather compact and cost around $60.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up