INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing drive where music folders/files are?  (Read 2844 times)

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
Changing drive where music folders/files are?
« on: April 18, 2019, 12:58:39 pm »

Originally I had stored all my music folders/files on, lets say, Drive M and imported them from there using various versions of MC.
ALL files paths show Drive M.

I am now closing in on filling Drive M and would like to transfer the folders/files to Drive N (which I know how to do).
However, I do not know what to change in MC settings so that Library and Library backups reflect the change to Drive N so that I can ultimately delete contents of Drive M and only use Drive N?!

Thanks in advance...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Changing drive where music folders/files are?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 01:26:00 pm »

It's best done by using MC to move the files.  There is a topic called Moving Files on our wiki.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 01:29:23 pm »

Basically there is a function where you select a file or files, and right click “Rename or Move”..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 08:39:04 am »

I have read the topic "Rename, Move and Copy Files".
Since all of the Files/Folders in Drive M have been copied to Drive N, would it make sense to use "Find & Replace" to change the path to then new Drive N?

Also read the topic "Library Manager".
Since all the Files/Folders already exist in new Drive N, can I just use the function "Add Library" function to accomplish what I want?

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 09:17:25 am »

You seem to be asking 3 questions:

1.  How to move my media files from M: to N: and have MC see them on N: just like they were on M: previously.
2.  Tell MC to send my backups to drive N: .
3.  Make MC put it's library files (database) on drive N: .

#1 I think you mostly have covered.  Do you know how to use Rename, Move, and Copy files to change the location of your media files from M to N ?  Yes, the Find & Replace template is really good for this.  I generally manually move the actual files and then use RM&C in "update database only" mode to tell it that I have moved the files.

#2 Is just a setting:  Tools > Options > File Location > Program Files > Library Backups > ( set drive and folder here) .  Those backups generally are set to go to your main drive though.  Usually drive C.  It's probably still set that way unless you changed it.

#3 is about the MC internal database.  These files are small.  Usually only 1 to 3 GB total.  This database (which MC calls the library) is also usually on drive C in the Program Files/JRiver/<not sure of the full path> directory. 

#2 and #3 don't necessarily need to be changed.  #1 is the big one.

Good luck.

Brian.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 09:40:22 am »

I guess this is a failure to communicate on my part...

Drive M contains all the files that have been IMPORTED into the existing MC and currently in use;

Drive N contains copies of (some) files from Drive M which were transferred using COPY/PASTE using FILE EXPLORER...NOT MC;

What is the most straightforward way to create a NEW library from the files in Drive N which can be accessed by MC separately from the Drive M library?

Goal is 2 separate libraries which can be accessed by MC.  Since Drive N is higher capacity than Drive M, ultimate goal is to eventually migrate to Drive N only.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 10:04:42 am »

Drive N contains copies of (some) files from Drive M which were transferred using COPY/PASTE using FILE EXPLORER...NOT MC;
The MC tool will move them for you.  You could delete the files you moved manually  and then use it.

There are a lot of ways to solve this problem.  It's not something we can help with in any detail.  Just try moving a few and see what happens.  Ask specific questions if you get stuck.

RD James

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 10:28:57 am »

Are these internal drives or external?
If they're internal drives, I'd recommend something like StableBit DrivePool to extend your storage instead of replacing one drive with another.

I would either:
  • Use the Media Center RMC tool to move the files from M to N.
  • Disable auto-import. Move the files via Explorer. Use the RMC tool in "update" mode and replace m:\ with n:\. Re-enable auto-import (and update the path).

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 12:20:12 pm »

I understand what you guys are recommending based on interpretation of what my goal is, i.e., you only get the right answer if you ask the right question.

To simplify, IF I have music folders/files on any type of drive be it external or internal, what is the best way to create a new library which contains all of these files?  In my case, new Drive N is a powered external drive connected to PC via USB.

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 01:47:44 pm »

What is the most straightforward way to create a NEW library from the files in Drive N which can be accessed by MC separately from the Drive M library?

Most straightforward way is to create a blank library with File > Library > Library Manager > Add Library .  Then import the files on drive N: . 

Of course this method isn't very sophisticated and will not get playlists or any of your MC specific metadata.

Goal is 2 separate libraries which can be accessed by MC.  Since Drive N is higher capacity than Drive M, ultimate goal is to eventually migrate to Drive N only.

You can fairly easily migrate everything all at once to N: in one shot and retain everything.  Your library will look exactly as it looks on M, it will just be on N.  If you are interested in this I can help guide you toward how to do it.

Brian.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 03:53:42 pm »

Originally I had stored all my music folders/files on, lets say, Drive M and imported them from there using various versions of MC.
ALL files paths show Drive M.

I am now closing in on filling Drive M and would like to transfer the folders/files to Drive N (which I know how to do).
However, I do not know what to change in MC settings so that Library and Library backups reflect the change to Drive N so that I can ultimately delete contents of Drive M and only use Drive N?!

Thanks in advance...

I am also trying to do this.   I have a library on one computer and am trying to clone it over on another one.   So, I did a library backup on Computer A and restored it on Computer B.  Computer B has all the music files on A except in a different directory.  I am trying to get the library to just use a different directory on Computer B to see the files.  Then my previously created playlists will work and everything will be grand.

Update: Somehow in all my clicking around I got the music file location changed and they now display on Computer B.  Try as I might I cannot get Cover Art to display.  I can even navigate to the Cover Art file and select a particular albums cover and it still will not display as a Thumbnail in the Playlist view.  I tried configuring the auto-import as recommended in https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Settings but something else seems to be overriding these settings.   

Any help appreciated!  Please :)

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 04:52:57 pm »

I am also truing to do this.   I have a library on one computer and am trying to clone it over on another one.   So, I did a library backup on Computer A and restored it on Computer B.  Computer B has all the music files on A except in a different directory.  I am trying to get the library to just use a different directory on Computer B to see the files.  Then on my previously created playlists will work and everything will be grand.

From following this thread, it seems this is not possible which makes no sense.  What am I missing?

If your directory structure is the same, simply use the rename, move, and copy tool (using the update database location drop-down option) , and use find and replace to replace the drive letters.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 05:11:35 pm »

If your directory structure is the same, simply use the rename, move, and copy tool (using the update database location drop-down option) , and use find and replace to replace the drive letters.

Nothing seemed to work so I closed MC 25 down and reopened and viola - everything was there!  Replicated this because I tried syncing my folders over the wifi and wiped all my changes out and to do a redo.  On the redo, noting seemed to work again and once I made the changes using the Rename, Move and Copy and then closed MC25 and reopened the changes we done. 

This seems like a bug to me but at least I know how to make it work now.   

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up