INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcard volumecontrol  (Read 1121 times)

Mortenaasted

Soundcard volumecontrol
« on: April 20, 2019, 09:01:05 am »

Hi all
Anyone knows if there is any external soundcard that can integrate its volume control into jriver?
I dont know if all is just passive attenuation, or some has digital that can be fetched by a Windows program.

Br Morten

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Soundcard volumecontrol
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 09:54:53 pm »

I don't know what you mean by "integrate volume control into JRiver"
You can set MC to Internal Volume or System Volume so all DACs can be integrated.

If you get something like "Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD USB" the volume knob controls Window's system volume and thus MC's volume. This can be good or bad. If you connect the DAC straight to an amp your listening volume will range between 3 and 8, out of 100. It will be way too loud.

My DAC's knob doesn't control the system volume so I can set it to have MC's volume around 70 out of 100 for normal listening. I just leave the DAC alone and control all volume from MC's interface/Remotes.

Mortenaasted

Re: Soundcard volumecontrol
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 01:37:22 am »

Okay, maybe i was not clear enough.
My idea was to use som pro soundcard for connecting my active speakers via 6xanalogue out, and my turntable riaa pre to an analogue input, and play it through the jriver dsp engine, and use jriver mc when playing from streaming sources.
But I am not sure if the rest of the family can learn not to have an normal volume knob.:)
And if i then use input gain knob on the soundcard for the turntable, this will not work on the stream.

Side question. If you need to play from both external devices and jriver mc, what is the easy way of switching between them?
You could send out the stream via digital out, and loop it back to digital in, and then use the soundcard as preamp.
Pages: [1]   Go Up