INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slow UHD 4k loading from network  (Read 949 times)

fandangos

• Recent member
Slow UHD 4k loading from network
« on: April 26, 2019, 07:22:38 pm »

My setup is this: I have a server using unraid that runs a rclone crypt instance of google drive.
I have several 4k uhd full discs blu-rays backed up to the cloud.

I share those files using smb from unraid to Windows 10 running JRiver.
The oppo 203 using a custom firmware can access this same smb share.
Kodi can access this same share but can't display the menus.

Download speed 300mbit fiber here.

OPPO can display first menu in about 3 seconds.
Kodi takes 5 seconds to start playing the main movie.
JRiver takes a minute and half.

Each transition from a menu to another takes more than a minute.
OPPO 203 accessing the same share is instant.
Kodi is instant.

Already tried mounting the drive localy, same problem.

So my guess is that JRiver buffers a ton of stuff before actually playing the movie.
Is there anyway to disable any kind of buffering and do a direct play from the share?

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Slow UHD 4k loading from network
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 12:31:59 am »

Two things I can think of … Antivirus and thumbnails

Thumbnails … if not generated when imported new items, these will be generated when needed … can cause slow down during browsing first time you access items without thumbnails … easiest solution, rebuild thumbnails … Tools -> Advanced Tools -> Rebuild Missing Thumbnails

Antivirus … well I had slow down when up to MC25 … until I realize that exceptions I put in Antivirus (Bitdefender) where for MC24 … after adding MC25 to exceptions, everything ran smooth
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

fandangos

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 10:28:43 am »

There should be no thumbnail here. I'm opening a file with file -> open -> and index.bdmv.
I understand JRiver trying to create thumbnails for imported itens for it's library but it makes no sense for it to try to create thumnails for every single file it opens.

About the antivirus, I don't use any.

This seems to be jriver hogging file access and performing extra operations that are not needed.

As I've mentioned Kodi is instant play and OPPO too.
JRiver takes 1-2 minutes to show the first menu, 1 minute to show the next, after the movie starts which ended up taking 5 minutes, it will play it without any problem.

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 12:08:35 pm »

ahhh … you trying to launch UHD disk menu from JRiver … sorry for misunderstanding

many files in STREAM (mt2s) or PLAYLIST (mpls) folders? (assuming you did folder rip)

From what I understand starting playing main title is instant on Kodi and Oppo … pretty sure if you select main mt2s or mpls file for JRiver to play it will be instant too (instead of index.bdmv)

also I understand Kodi cannot launch BD menu … while Oppo is sluggish (3 second is sluggish) … and MC is super slow

I don't use BD menus (rip my disk to mkv … though I can see benefits like DV) … remember reading on some post about how MC decide which mpls or mt2s is main movie file … could be many mpls and mt2s causing MC to access many files in clouds … and while your connection might be fast … cloud latency might be causing slow down if MC needs to analyze many files to determine which is main one

I could be wrong though (maybe try some rip which only has main title in it?)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

darky

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 04:11:49 pm »

I have a few UHD rips (folder format) on my Synology NAS.
THey load as fast, with menu's, as any other file. I use theatre view

fandangos

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 03:07:30 pm »

This has almost nothing to do with a NAS.
I'm loading my UHD BD from a encrypted mount share from google drive.

Today I took the time mounted my share on windows with rclone and verbose to see what the hell was jriver doing.
Well, it has a really erratic read pattern.

The problem is, jriver reads a portion of index.bdmv later the clpi and keeps going back and forth each other. Instead of actually reading those small files, putting those on ram for quick access and actually reading directly from the file for large files.

Here's the log of it's access:
https://pastebin.com/uT0n2TZ8

This goes unnoticed for regular access but it's a waste of resources and movies could play much faster.
Actually I'm unfair to jriver, maybe it's a windows thing, but it would be great if some dev could look into it.

darky

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 05:18:29 am »

offtopic
google drive is fast enough to serve an UHD movie?
Pages: [1]   Go Up