INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: live tv on client  (Read 2653 times)

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
live tv on client
« on: April 27, 2019, 01:36:50 am »

I just asking the dev of the live tv part of jriver if you are going to fix livetv load times in the client part of jriver (have you forgot about the 10 20 seconds channel load times) where we have a load screen saying opening... i see in all the updates since version 21 nothing about this all other mediacenter that have client setups like nextpvr, mediaportal 1,2 have about 5 seconds with is good for the family yes , please look into this .. this is my only grrr so to speak with jriver in server client mode ..

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: live tv on client
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 01:43:40 am »

All with the same tuner?

Are you storing files on a NAS.

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 01:47:24 am »

yes all same tuners and no nas, just on another pc which acts as both client and server and livingroom pc just client and bedroom pc just client.

I'm trying to find the post few years back about same issue and one off your regulars ( a beta tester maybe, not sure) mention and agreed about the lengthy load times on client pc setups.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 04:07:04 am »

If your library (MC database) is stored on another PC and/or if your files are being stored there, then there is always a possibility that the disc has to spin up before anything happens.

I would try a simpler setup, just as a test.  Even a different tuner if available.

What version of MC are you using?  MC25 has had some changes for client/server TV.

I don't think there is a general problem with channel switching time in MC.

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 04:27:45 am »

No it's not a bug where somethink is not working more in a way to speed up the livetv channel change from the client , the seerver client (on same pc) channel change if quick .. client only only has always since 21 ver to present is very slow.. so i take it by your reply that you have a server with all media and tunners and connect to it by another pc acting as client only and you get fast channel change with livetv not 20 seconds plus with a loading screen saying opening..?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 05:07:41 am »

My load times for live TV are 6 to 16 seconds, depending on the channel I select.

That is on my Workstation Client, connected to my HTPC MC Server, which stores all files locally, including Time Shift files. I use Time Shift of course. That is also with discs spinning already. Internal tuner in the Server, connected to an antenna via a splitter, but with a good quality and strong signal. DVB-T in Australia.

It has always been like that for me.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 05:44:58 am »

Oh well it's shame that load time are long when family's are waiting to see a show ,never mind thou least other media centers have it ok good to have these choice's

on my server/client pc ie single seat mode as i call it channel change is up there like 3 seconds, media madiaportal in multi seat mode ie server and one client 5 seconds ish jriver in multi seat mode with one client asking for live tv channel change 20 ish seconds any how all have a great weekend and thanks for the replies on this matter

kev

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 06:48:36 am »

What tuners are being used?

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 08:05:57 am »

Not to worry. My main post was to do with speeding up channel change on client pc in multi seat mode but as mention others are a lot quicker. JRiver is the slowest media center in multi seat if family keeps moaning about it i have to go back to mediaportal ..

the tuners are Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD, nothink wrong with them all super fast channel change in other multi seat mediacenters..

thanks for the reply enjoy the weekend

kev

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 08:34:15 am »

What is the full version of MC on both server and client?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 10:12:00 am »

I am aware of the reported issue, but I have not identified anything that can be done about it.  With the server running normally (not in sleep, hard disk ready), I consistently get about 4 - 5 seconds delay over 10 seconds of delay.  It will be difficult to reduce the delay lower than that.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 11:18:40 am »

That what times i get on the server when i watch tv and change channel  on the server pc .(you must have a super pc then if you get them times on a client only) ie not watching the tv on the server where all the media is and tunners, only watching it on a client. Agree cant get faster then 5 or less on the installed pc but you could sort out the times via client only ones which is where the delay is

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 12:01:03 pm »

A buffer setting somewhere?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 12:04:05 pm »

Sorry, I misspoke above.  I was using the HDHomerun, and the tuners appeared on the client as local tuners.  That was why the delay was only 5 seconds.  Streaming truly from the server I get delays of 12 seconds.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 12:45:38 pm »

This may not be specific to television.  It may be just a matter of video playback.  There is a delay of 5 - 15 seconds getting any type of video to play.  Adding 4 - 5 seconds for tuner to tune, you get 10 - 20 seconds.  So the question is whether can can speed up video start up.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2019, 02:19:09 pm »

Would Red October settings matter?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2019, 03:45:16 pm »

Playing a video from a Library Server should have no appreciable delay, even when video conversion is being performed - assuming drives don't need to spin up, but thats easy to rule out by simply trying twice within a few minutes, or ensuring they are manually woken up.

Without video conversion (which really isn't needed when streaming locally) from a MC client, assuming a fast local network, there should be no notable delay. Unless someone broke something quite recently?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2019, 10:46:02 pm »

Playing a video from a Library Server should have no appreciable delay, even when video conversion is being performed - assuming drives don't need to spin up, but thats easy to rule out by simply trying twice within a few minutes, or ensuring they are manually woken up.

Without video conversion (which really isn't needed when streaming locally) from a MC client, assuming a fast local network, there should be no notable delay. Unless someone broke something quite recently?

I will have to do more testing on this.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2019, 12:26:19 am »

bigmuscles,
Try setting Video to Red October Standard.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2019, 01:26:10 am »

For comparison with my numbers, opening a video file on the Client from the Server with no conversion takes around 2 to 3 seconds, with TS files fastest, and AVI files slowest of those I tested. Gigabit Ethernet connection. MC25.0.31 on both PCs. ROHQ of course. AMD card on Client.

Side issue:
While testing the speed by repeatedly starting a video, closing it, then starting it or another video within a short time, say less than ten seconds, I could repeatably crash (not lock up, crash) MC.
Actually, the crash only seems to happen if I only play a video for a few seconds, stop it, and then try to play a video again afterward. Even waiting 15 seconds or a bit longer didn't clear that issue.

Log with Crash Dump on OneDrive: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AE8KH39qCkz1idY2
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2019, 02:56:28 am »

hi think the last few post wasnt anything to do with client slow channel change the were talking about video ie movies tv shows store on sever (i think?) coz the issue i mention is only client slow channel change  , movies tv shows etc start up fast ie instant thanks for all replies

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2019, 03:19:31 am »

Please try Red October Standard.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2019, 04:40:31 pm »

....MC25.0.31 on both PCs....
Side issue:
While testing the speed by repeatedly starting a video, closing it, then starting it or another video within a short time, say less than ten seconds, I could repeatably crash (not lock up, crash) MC.
Actually, the crash only seems to happen if I only play a video for a few seconds, stop it, and then try to play a video again afterward. Even waiting 15 seconds or a bit longer didn't clear that issue.

Strongly suggest everyone roll back to 25.0.24 until JR fixes the crashes:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,120499.0.html
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2019, 04:46:33 pm »

Live tv on clients take 6-7 seconds for me, that's on both gigabit wired PC's and wifi laptop. HDRP tuners with comcast cable card channels.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2019, 03:49:58 pm »

Live tv on clients take 6-7 seconds for me, that's on both gigabit wired PC's and wifi laptop. HDRP tuners with comcast cable card channels.

Time cut in half with version 25.0.86 (64bit) of MC. Nice  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up