INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Option to set minimum volume to 1 instead of 0  (Read 828 times)

narbi

• Junior Woodchuck
Option to set minimum volume to 1 instead of 0
« on: April 28, 2019, 12:06:14 pm »

Hi,

Yes I know that most of you will find this is an odd request, but I will explain.

For a long time I was using an external processor as a crossover for my speakers, I decided to give convolution another go.
I copy pasted setup into rephase files, set everything up, and compared both approaches.
Using the convolution DSP always made me loose sound stage depth, and then I noticed something.
If I check the option process independently of internal volume on the convolution plugin, there you go, my sound is back as before.

So the point is, with this option enabled (which I'd like to keep enabled), you will run into troubles if you use :
- volume protection (I can live without)
- mute button (I can remove it from the remote)
- lower volume down to 0 (that I can do nothing against)

Having a new option in the audio settings, allowing to set minimum volume to 1 instead of 0 would deal with the last issue (I guess).

Any chance I could hope for it ?
Thanks

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Option to set minimum volume to 1 instead of 0
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 02:10:49 pm »

If you are noticing a loss of quality with volume reduction, ensure that dither is set to TPDF and not "JRiver Bit-Exact".
You should not use the "process independently of internal volume" option for DSP Plug-ins. My understanding is that the option is there for monitoring plug-ins (spectrum analyzers etc).

narbi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 02:18:43 pm »

I use TPDF dithering, and I know I should not use the dsp option, it's the only one that gives me the same experience as with my external processor, with exactly the same settings.
Should not happen, of course, but it does so...
Have the option I asked would allow people to use that option, so it's not entirely useless for everyone.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 08:10:20 pm »

It's never good to institutionalise a workaround with a setting, rather than determine and fix the underlying cause of the problem.

Look at what you are losing, just to get this "fix".
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up