INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ratings tags not showing in MC25 from MC24.  (Read 1009 times)

VoiceCoil

• Recent member
Ratings tags not showing in MC25 from MC24.
« on: April 28, 2019, 09:45:57 pm »

After upgrading from MC24 to MC25, and after inadvertently failing to have MC25 set up to point to the right directory to watch for file imports, a lot of odd thing started happening once I corrected the directory watch settings. Now, after trying different methods, including reinstalling MC24 and working with that, I have everything working, except that when restoring the latest library from MC24 to '25, I am missing most of the ratings tags for my music files. I've done a lot of trial and error experimentation with this but to no avail. What can I do about this?

MBP 15" mid 2012 retina 10.14.4.  -  MC25.0.18

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Ratings tags not showing in MC25 from MC24.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 12:29:52 am »

Did you try restoring a slightly older library backup?

VoiceCoil

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 01:53:45 pm »

Yes, in fact I tried several older backups within a time period that should have included all metadata for my files. These were backups that were in the MC24 library folder where I believe, during the time I was running MC25, I had failed to switch the settings to point the program to direct its data to the '25 library (as far as I can tell). So, I also tried to restore from '25's library backup; the ratings were there but no files! I must have screwed something up badly to get myself into this mess. This really isn't a critical issue for me, but I'm just wondering if there's a way to isolate and extract the ratings data from somewhere to merge with my existing metadata to get everything as it was. If not, no big deal. Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 07:20:30 pm »

Are the ratings showing in MC24?

Brian.

VoiceCoil

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 11:09:01 pm »

No. This is among the things I've tried before. Nothing brings ratings back. I'm just going to abandon this. It's too frustrating and not important enough. Maybe something is corrupted. Thank you for trying to help. Moving on.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 10:28:58 am »

In my experience, with MC for Mac (versions 20 through 25), Ratings have transfered via the backup and restore, every time without fail.  I'm not sure why it isn't working for you.  Sorry to hear that.

You might consider having MC write all of your tags to your files.  This seems like a good backup method.  With FLACs I have had good success of those ratings transferring between systems, even without doing back and restore.

Tools > Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Update tags when file info changes > (Checked)

Brian.

VoiceCoil

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 09:20:35 pm »

Thanx blgentry, I appreciate the advice. I do have the tagging settings just as you suggested; always have, and I just discovered too that a small number of 'Total Tracks' tags are missing as well, so I'm still thinking something is up with my computer. I might have take some drastic action like erase and install the OS. I'll monitor for further problems and see what happens. (I just now updated to 25.0.27.)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 10:25:01 pm »

Do not erase and re-install the OS. That is very, very unlikely to fix anything, and will just be a lot of work for nothing.

The above posts are a little confusing, but I think you haven't clarified what you are actually trying to do, or expecting to happen.

I don't know when you first used MC, or what versions you have used in the past, but you joined the Forum on March 25, 2018, so I am going to assume that the first version of MC you used was MC24. Also, based on the above, I will assume that you have never had ratings in any version of MC, and so I have to assume that you are trying to get ratings back that you applied using some other software, at some earlier time.

If the above is the case, then maybe the previous software never wrote your ratings to the files, so MC has never been able to find them. Or possibly the ratings were written to the files, but using a non-standard format. MC can't read ratings tags from some other software source unless they have been written to the files in a standard format. For example, MC reads and writes Ratings into the ID3v2.3 "POPM (Rating)" tag for an MP3 files, and to the Vorbis Comment Block "RATING" tag in FLAC files.

Also note that as Rating is a very personal thing, when ripping CDs and getting metadata from online databases, MC doesn't get any Rating values stored in tags, as they wouldn't match your personal Ratings.

So, how far off am I? Am I correct about the above?
If so, what was your previous software, do you still have it and would it still work on your PC?
Did you have ratings in that software, and can it be used to write those ratings to tags in the files, so that MC can read them and update its Library?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

VoiceCoil

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 12:50:21 am »

My time has been limited, thus the late reply. Much of what you've said here is beyond me, and I could never resolve this issue, so I've just deleted every file associated with MC24 and restored all my files manually. Thanks for trying to help, but as I mentioned previously, it was just easier to move on with MC25. However, I have a new issue which I will start a new topic on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up