INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume Leveling - did not work  (Read 1061 times)

Joeycococo

• Junior Woodchuck
Volume Leveling - did not work
« on: April 29, 2019, 09:26:07 am »

I have analyzed 60% of my entire music collection.  One particular artist's entire collection is analyzed yet, one song (DSD) was painfully louder than a 16bit version of another song. Both tracks were analyzed and I did click Volume Leveling in the DSP Output section.

What am I doing wrong?
tx

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Volume Leveling - did not work
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 09:58:52 am »

Are you bitstreaming DSD? Bitstreaming cannot be adjusted in volume, so that would explain such differences if DSD is involved.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Joeycococo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 09:19:06 am »

Yes, correct. It was a DSD I was playing just before a 16bit track.  I didn't realize leveling did not work with DSD.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 05:53:12 pm »

Volume Leveling works with DSD if you are decoding it to PCM.

Volume Leveling doesn't work with any audio that you are Bitstreaming to an external device. So if you have set MC to Bitstream DSD, then Volume Leveling isn't going to be applied to the DSD files.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Joeycococo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 11:38:16 am »

Yes...I am streaming to an external DAC.
So it should work for non dsd tracks?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 05:54:45 pm »

It should work with any tracks that you aren't Bitstreaming.

It doesn't matter what the source file format is. If you Bitstream MP3 files Volume Leveling will not work either. By definition, Bitstreaming prevents changes to the audio file contents, and simply sends the file as is to the output device.

Note that Bitstreaming is not the same as streaming, in the context of audio output from MC, or any audio software. For example, MC could play a FLAC file to a DLNA device, converting it to MP3 before sending it to the DLNA device. MC would then be streaming the audio, but would not be Bitstreaming it. Bitstreaming means outputting the audio file untouched by any alterations, including volume changes. Or at least DSP based volume changes, such as Volume Leveling.

Hendrik, at one time there was some discussion about allowing MC's Internal Volume to alter volume for Bitstreamed audio, as it was an easy change that didn't alter the data otherwise or something. I may be misremembering that discussion. Does Internal Volume work with Bitsreamed audio? I haven't tested.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Joeycococo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 07:04:47 pm »

It looks like I am BITSTREAMING
 DAMN

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 05:19:03 am »

Hendrik, at one time there was some discussion about allowing MC's Internal Volume to alter volume for Bitstreamed audio, as it was an easy change that didn't alter the data otherwise or something. I may be misremembering that discussion. Does Internal Volume work with Bitsreamed audio? I haven't tested.

Internal Volume cannot work with Bitstreaming. What might possibly work on some more advanced setups is System Volume, since some drivers control the analog volume of the DAC connected to the system, instead of doing it digitally. But these are very rare exceptions.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up