INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Folder Locking - Cover Art - Add from file  (Read 1050 times)

woollies66

• Recent member
Folder Locking - Cover Art - Add from file
« on: May 04, 2019, 01:45:01 am »

MC25 appears to be leaving a "low level" operating system folder lock when cover art is added from a file. The only way to clear the lock is to shutdown the MC. Has / is anyone else experiencing this ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Folder Locking - Cover Art - Add from file
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 05:58:02 am »

I'm not aware of such a problem.  What is locked?  The audio track?

woollies66

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 06:10:47 am »

Hi

No , you can delete the file, it's the folder in which the file exists which is locked.

To add further context, I download all the media to a local hard drive , import the "media" - in this case audio files, perform any necessary "clean up" actions e.g. source cover art which has not been able to be found by the built in "lookup cover art" functionality.

I then use the "rename, Move & copy files" option in "Library" tools to relocate the files to a NAS drive.

As part of the post house keeping exercise I then "delete" any remaining files / folders from the "local" hard drive, this is when I encounter the issue when attempting to delete the folder structure.

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 03:57:00 pm »

I haven't had an issue with MC locking files or folders but when I use Chrome to download cover art from fanart.tv I find Chrome locks the downloaded file.
Are you sure it is MC locking the folder and not some other program?

woollies66

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 05:05:40 pm »

Hi all

Apologies if I've not made myself clear, I have not set auto import, I am manually initiating the import of audio files. The only thing that I am doing is manually specifying where the cover art is located (from within jriver), this is leaving a low level os (operating system) folder lock on - when I attempt to delete the folder - a standard windows dialogue is displayed "In use by another process" (not exact wording) , If I then close JRiver , the "lock" is cleared and I can delete the folder. The only conclusion I can therefore reach is that "jriver" or one of the functions the application is developed in is responsible for the lock.

Best Regards

woollies66

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 05:33:50 pm »

Hi

apologies once again, I do not in any way wish to come across as being picky or bloody minded, but this does appear to be a very very very minor bug. Simply selecting a folder via a standard browser dialogue (I'm assuming that the dev language used is calling a standard windows dialogue via an api) should not lock the folder.   

In my earlier career I was a developer (c++ and vb.net)

As it appears that I'm the only user who's experiencing this, based upon how I'm using jriver. I will graciously concede and live with the very minor inconvenience.

With very best regards

woollies66

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 05:39:43 pm »

;D ;)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 08:59:15 pm »

MC25 appears to be leaving a "low level" operating system folder lock when cover art is added from a file. The only way to clear the lock is to shutdown the MC. Has / is anyone else experiencing this ?

I've always thought that MC seems to hold a lock on files longer than is necessary, which becomes apparent through some odd behaviours. Maybe it happens to folders as well.

If you waited 15 minutes (yes, I've seen a lock last a looong time), does the lock clear and allow you to delete the folder?

To bring the files into MC JRiver you needed to set up an import stucture on your computer telling MC which folder to import from.

Unless you import a single folder, or right-click on a file or group of files, and select "Media Center > Import", which in neither case requires any import structure to be set up.

I believe that the "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" function causes the issue for me most often when I see it. But to be fair, if I have used that I do need to wait until all files are moved and the appropriate tags are changed in each, which can take some time and isn't obvious. In fact, while MC has finished updating tags, Windows may still not quite have finished, and may be the real culprit in the issue. Perhaps due to using non-removable disks and write caching. But the RM&CF does a lot of work before it finishes, so that could be the underlying issue.

I do see the same sort of issue with Windows Explorer being the cause, on very rare occasions.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

woollies66

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 09:19:03 pm »

Hi

The lock does not clear after a period of time, and it only happens when I've added cover art using the "Add from file" option.

All other MC functions allow the removal on the folder structure(s) once the MC internal processes have completed.

It will lock the folder , not the cover art file - I can delete it at anytime after it has been "imported", until I have either

a) selected another cover art folder (again using the "Add from File" menu option - the newly selected folder is locked - the previous one is unlocked and can be deleted

b) Close the MC down - this then releases the folder lock.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2019, 10:07:25 pm »

Ok, that sounds like that particular dialogue isn't releasing the folder. A bit strange, but there you go.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 07:30:55 am »

Good find.

Next build:
Fixed: Adding cover art from a file would leave the folder locked.

The fix is a bit of a mystery, but Google suggested it and it works (even though the docs say that flag is ignored on the function we're calling!).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up