INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server Statistics ?  (Read 2107 times)

Robert Taylor

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living in a Smokeless Zone...
Media Server Statistics ?
« on: May 11, 2003, 01:54:22 am »

Hi All!

I use Media Server extensively to pipe music to my lounge PC.

The Media Server window seems to indicate that statistics are captured about number of plays etc, but this information never seems to make it back into my database.

Is there a setting I'm missing, or is there no feedback into the database for stats from remotely played items by design?

Thanks for any help in advance
Cheers
Rob

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
Re: Media Server Statistics ?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2003, 06:40:14 pm »

For now, no stats are passed back to the DB.

j

Warlock

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2003, 01:25:45 pm »

I guess I am a little confused about the benefits of using Media Server on a home network.  Let me be upfront, however, and say that haven't used Media Server yet, but I am hoping to set it up this week.  So if I am way off base, feel free to correct me.  

As I understand it, Media Server allows a client computer to access the MC database and music files on another computer.  When I open MC on the client it will show me the same library that is saved on my server.  If I make changes to the library on the client, it will save those changes on the server, correct?  But song statistics (such as last played, etc.) will not be saved on the server machine.

Hmmm.... in the context of a home network why don't I just setup my client machine to map a connection to the saved library on the server and then I can run MC from the client and the server (although not simultaneously) and have it save all database changes including song statistics.  Am I missing something?  What functionality that is available in Media Server would I lose?

jaylopez

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2003, 02:19:53 pm »

If you make changes on the client, they are not saved on the server.  I had the same question.  I wish the clilent could make changes to the database because it's inconvenient to make changes directly on the server, including updating the database, when I move mp3 files on a daily basis.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2003, 08:39:03 pm »

The problem is multiple accesses to the database. You have to synchronize these some way. We'll do it eventually, but for now it doesn't work.

Mapping a network drive only shares the files, and not the rest of it. Unless you mean sharing the DB files, and this is not a good thing (because of the synchronization problem(the penalty for accidentally accessing the database from both client and server at the same time is severe)).

Until we get a synchronized DB, do your organizing on your main machine, and listen from wherever you'd like.

j

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2003, 01:29:04 am »

Gday Warlock!

The main reason I use the Client/Server method, is that I have a nice big fat machine in my room with twin 80Gb mirrored (soon to be full 240Gb RAID 5) array. This machine is reasonable grunty, and it's the "central" machine on my home network.

I have another machine in the lounge connected to my stereo system, with an LCD monitor (looks more like a piece of furniture than a CRT!!). The lounge machine is not a big chunky box, as I wanted it farily discrete in the stereo cabinet etc.

Also, when I have a party, with the mandatory drunken and off-their-dial friends over, they can access my music collection without me worrying about em doing harm to my collection's organisation. I also don't have to play DJ all night, people can use the interface with minor instruction, and everyone can queue up their favourites without arguments about what plays first etc. It's strictly first in best dressed; unless of course it's ME who wants something played NOW 8-) - Hey it's my toy, and I'll switch it off if you don't wanna play by my rules!!!

My better half also has a machine in her room, so she can be playing "studying" music while I'm blowing my eardrums out over the other side of the house.

It works really well, and I'm forever grateful that I decided to cough up the dough for this great product!

Hope this explains a bit about why it's a good tang...

Cheers
Rob

Warlock

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2003, 06:22:55 am »

Lunchmeat:  That helps a lot.  Thanks.  I guess the limited synchronization actually is an advantage in that context.  I will play around with the server/streaming functions to see how it works for me.

John: Now you have me scared.  Last night I setup my client machine (a laptop connected to my stereo) to access the DB saved on my server machine.  I simply mapped the server location to a drive letter on the client and loaded that as my "default" database.  It worked great and saved any changes I made.  Now I am concerned about your warning that "accidentally accessing the database from both client and server at the same time is severe."  How severe?  Are we talking total destruction of my database?  Is there any way I can protect against this?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2003, 06:56:42 am »

Hi Warlock,

Yes, you can potentially destroy your database (but not the actual music files).
It is not a given: just because both machines are accessing the files at the same time does not guarantee a loss of data. It may be very low probability, I don't know.

j

Warlock

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2003, 10:24:07 am »

Yes, you can potentially destroy your database (but not the actual music files).  
It is not a given: just because both machines are accessing the files at the same time does not guarantee a loss of data. It may be very low probability, I don't know.

Hmmm....maybe I will be the guinea pig on this one (after a thorough backup of course :).

salsbst1

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2003, 12:06:29 pm »

Hi Warlock,

j

So far, no problems for me.  Recognizing this issue, I always make sure to reload the library when I go from machine to machine, and to definitely avoid making changes from two machines simultaneously.

However, I am pretty nervous.  I'm really looking forward to a safer architecture!

Regards,
Stuart

sraymond

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2003, 01:04:11 pm »

Matt wrote:

I wonder how low this probability is???  If I can't get Media Server to stream video, it would seem I'd want to avoid using MC on my HTPC until this is resolved.

Scott-
Pages: [1]   Go Up