INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Customized Tag Windows gone. Coming back? (Resolved)  (Read 1623 times)

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
Customized Tag Windows gone. Coming back? (Resolved)
« on: May 06, 2019, 12:38:41 pm »

Hello.  In MC 24 there used to be an option to customise which tags appeared in the tag window based on the content you were working with.  That seems to be gone and now the only way to see many of my tags is to have "All Tags" selected. 

This is a pain as I had customised this window so that only the tags I wanted to work with were showing for specific file types.

Is this going to be coming back?  Is there a way to get it back now?

Thanks.

Carl

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Customized Tag Windows gone. Coming back?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 12:46:28 pm »

The tag window is fully customizable.

Play around with the "Customize..." option you get when you click the top-left button.

You can even create your own templates that only show for certain files.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jctcom

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 12:50:37 pm »

The tag window is fully customizable.

Play around with the "Customize..." option you get when you click the top-left button.

You can even create your own templates that only show for certain files.

I no longer seem to have the "Customize" option.  Only "Default, Values, Current View & all tags".

Carl

Actually I think I found it.  I have to select "Current View" and then "Also Show".

Carl

jctcom

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 01:38:08 pm »

Still not as good as it used to be though.  You used to be able to insert fields anywhere you wanted and separators etc...  Now it will only list them in alphabetical order.

Please bring back the full "Customise" option that used to be there in MC24.

Carl

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 01:42:48 pm »

Still not as good as it used to be though.  You used to be able to insert fields anywhere you wanted and separators etc...  Now it will only list them in alphabetical order.

Please bring back the full "Customise" option that used to be there in MC24.

Carl

I'm not sure you're looking at the right thing.

That dialog allows full customization of what tags to show, their order, and their grouping.

jctcom

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 01:47:02 pm »

Yes.  I used to get into that window via the "Customise" link when clicking on the button on the top left of the tags.  I no longer have the "Customize" option.

Are you using MC25?

Carl

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 02:17:47 pm »

Hold SHIFT while opening the Tag window.  I think you must be using the old version.

Honestly it might be time to remove that option.

jctcom

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 02:24:57 pm »

Hold SHIFT while opening the Tag window.  I think you must be using the old version.

Thanks.  That got me the "Customise" option.   Is there a way to set it so it defaults to that like it used to?
 Edit: Actually it looks like now that I have used the Shift key once it now seems to open with the customise option without using the shift key.

Also when you say "Time to remove that option" are you talking about the "Customise" or the way I am seeing it without the shift key as mentioned above?

Carl

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 02:26:15 pm »

Thanks.  That got me the "Customise" option.   Is there a way to set it so it defaults to that like it used to?
 Edit: Actually it looks like now that I have used the Shift key once it now seems to open with the customise option without using the shift key.

Also when you say "Time to remove that option" are you talking about the "Customise" or the way I am seeing it without the shift key as mentioned above?

Carl

We kept the old tag window available by pressing the SHIFT button once on open.  After that it will always open the other way (until you press SHIFT again).

I'm just wondering if there's any reason to keep the old tag window any longer?

I love the new window, but I might be partial :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Customized Tag Windows gone. Coming back? (Resolved)
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 02:35:19 pm »

We kept the old tag window available by pressing the SHIFT
If you remove it, I'm going to publish your home phone number.

swiv3d

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 04:30:02 pm »

I really prefer the current tag window Matt!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2019, 05:37:41 pm »

If you remove it, I'm going to publish your home phone number.

Oh goody, so I can call from Australia at time I like. Time Zones? What are Time Zones?  ;D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2019, 10:01:44 pm »

I love the new window, but I might be partial :)
I really like the new tag window too. Now and again though, I'll fall back to the old one.

The old tag window is so much better than the new one when it comes to editing 'large edit' type fields. For me, this means predominantly Lyrics and Description fields. It offers a full height edit window that remains open as you move from file to file in the list. It's so easy to work with, and generally, no scrolling involved either.

Bring that functionality to the new tag window, and I'll be firmly in the 'retire the old' camp. :)

-marko

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 01:19:43 am »

Oh goody, so I can call from Australia at time I like. Time Zones? What are Time Zones?  ;D
He's eager to work at any hour.  He'll be happy to hear from you.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2019, 09:10:21 am »

The old tag window is so much better than the new one when it comes to editing 'large edit' type fields. For me, this means predominantly Lyrics and Description fields. It offers a full height edit window that remains open as you move from file to file in the list. It's so easy to work with, and generally, no scrolling involved either.

There is an "Edit in Popup" button that appears for large edit fields, but we weren't ensuring it wasn't scrolled off the bottom of the screen.  Next build will fix that.

It is an extra click, but then you have a really nice big editor.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2019, 09:47:23 am »

True. Not as smooth as the old way, but, true.

Can the popout be made to accept the ctrl+enter combo to commit the edit?

I could probably live with that then, especially since the recent change that gave large edits a bit more space in the tag window when editing.

-marko

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2019, 09:55:21 am »

True. Not as smooth as the old way, but, true.

Can the popout be made to accept the ctrl+enter combo to commit the edit?

I could probably live with that then, especially since the recent change that gave large edits a bit more space in the tag window when editing.

-marko

Great idea.

Next build:
NEW: If you press Shift+Return in a popup editor in the tag window it will accept and close.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2019, 12:42:45 pm »

Great idea.

Next build:
NEW: If you press Shift+Return in a popup editor in the tag window it will accept and close.

Thanks Matt! One more thing which worked better with the old one at least I remembered that it worked this way:
I'm have edited a field say "date" and want to move to next file in the list view. In the old editor I could press page up / down to navigate to next file in the view and editing mode remained and I could enter "date" for other file and so on. It would be great if this kind of batch editing could be transferred also to new system.

One other thing is that tagging window is not saving focus. If I edit some field in tagging window press F2 focus is moved to last selected field in the view instead of that field in tagging window which was last edited.

Otherwise I'm very glad new editor user

Vocalpoint

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2019, 01:33:08 pm »

New editor or ye old one - can anyone tell me why the Tab key only works some of the time?

I have a custom metadata section that I use for every album - it has about a dozen very common fields like Date, Description, Media Type etc etc - tags that almost anyone would use.

But at least 60 percent of the time - if I drop the cursor into say Date, fill it and hit Tab - sometimes to goes to the next field in the block and sometimes it does not. I am at a loss as to figure out why it works so sporadically.

Ideally - I should be able to place the cursor in the first field (Album Title) and tab my way through all the fields with no hangups - but it simply does not work.

I am not at the main machine right now but I will post a screencap of my custom tag block - maybe someone can see why this specific set of fields does not play nice in the Tab sandbox.

Cheers,

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2019, 01:36:44 pm »

Thanks Matt! One more thing which worked better with the old one at least I remembered that it worked this way:
I'm have edited a field say "date" and want to move to next file in the list view. In the old editor I could press page up / down to navigate to next file in the view and editing mode remained and I could enter "date" for other file and so on. It would be great if this kind of batch editing could be transferred also to new system.

Next build:
NEW: Page up and page down will increment files when pressed in the Tag Action Window.

Thanks for the suggestion.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2019, 05:15:06 pm »

Wow thanks Matt!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2019, 08:01:19 am »

We're going to try one more change for the next build:
Changed: When editing in the Tag window, clicking another file or switching with page up and page down will keep editing the same field instead of cancelling.

I like it because then you can just keep editing.  Hitting [Escape] stops editing.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2019, 09:32:56 am »

I think this will be good. Will let you know for sure once it's out.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2019, 08:44:15 pm »

I only use the old tag window when editing lyrics. Looks like some changes are coming that may eliminate the need for the old one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up