INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pi vs NUC for low power headless music server  (Read 5859 times)

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Pi vs NUC for low power headless music server
« on: May 08, 2019, 02:26:48 pm »

I believe IdPi's are intended to be used as renderers but I have been using one as a server for the last few years. It works, but has limitations.

My setup has evolved to:
Server - Pi3B+ running JRiver's IdPi version 24 with music on 2TB SSD
Controller - Samsung Tab S5e running JRemote, Gizmo, and MO 4Media
Renderer - Axiom Air wifi stereo with Pi3B+ running an Axiom's customized version of Volumio
Router - GL-AR750S-Ext connected to Pi and stereo through ethernet cable

The Pi server and router consume between 9 and 11 watts and averages about 10.5.
It can handle a music library of over 100,000 files just fine.
The most stable settings for DLNA is to convert to mp3(high). Volume leveling can be applied without issue.
Where it falls short is serving 24bit high res audio. Regardless of DLNA setting/conversions it will stop playback anywhere from a few seconds in to a few tracks in.

I realized I had all the parts to build a NUC, except for the NUC itself, so i bought one.
The NUC is NUC8i3BEH1 with 128GB SSD and 16GB DDR4 2400MHz ram. My 2TB SSD fits in the case too. A clean install of Windows 10 Pro kindly accepted a Windows 8 OEM upgrade key I bought from Microsoft in 2012. The NUC and router consume between 8 and 60 Watts. When importing and building thumbnails they consume over 50 Watts but do the job 4 times as fast as the Pi. When serving music they consume between 10 and 11.5 Watts and average about 11. In sleep mode they consume about 6 Watts. It can serve any format or quality as 24 bit PCM with volume leveling. I have been using it for a week without any unintended stops in playback.

Pros of NUC
- Button to turn on/off where with the Pi you have to use remote desktop to shut down.
- Has sleep mode
- JRiver benchmark is over 4600
- Will convert and play everything
- No need for external hard drive or USB hub
- Pretty much equal power usage as Pi setup.

Pros of Pi
- Price
- Size

So the NUC is a better server. It does however cost over $800 where the Pi costs less than $100.
Still, I really like the IdPi. I will continue to use it, but as a renderer.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Pi vs NUC for low power headless music server
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 02:36:16 pm »

You can also shut down the IdPi by using Panel's settings icon.  You have to have authentication set.

I think the NUC needs about twice the power of the Id, but with a drive that would change.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
Re: Pi vs NUC for low power headless music server
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 03:11:33 pm »

You can also shut down the IdPi by using Panel's settings icon.  You have to have authentication set.
Thanks, I did not know this.

I think the NUC needs about twice the power of the Id, but with a drive that would change.
That makes sense. My power measurements for the NUC include the NUC, SSD, and Router. The router is around 4 Watts. The power measurements for the Pi include the Pi, USB hub, SSD, and router.
I may check both of their power usages when used as renderers, which will be lower without the USB hub and SSD. I'm doing a harddrive backup right now on my old server from before I had to go low power and it's using 130 Watts, so I'm quite happy with the 10-11 I'm using on the Pi and NUC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up