INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Storing music for efficiency  (Read 807 times)

icanrule

• World Citizen
Storing music for efficiency
« on: May 08, 2019, 05:39:32 pm »

I'm trying to figure out a way to that I can start to store my music more efficiently and I'm looking for suggestions.

Currently I store music with the following structure.
- artists
  + album
- compilation
- singles
- soundtracks

As my collection has gotten bigger I've noticed it is taking up a lot more space and I want to see if I can get rid of duplication if possible.  In some cases especially with the Beatles I can have the same song duplicated 12 times.  I was leaning to this structure.

- artist
 + Songs
 + Playlist (where there is a playlist of each album the artist has)
- Compilations
  + Playlists
- soundtracks
  + Playlists

There are some things I haven't fully fleshed out yet.

1. what if I have a compilation with an artist that only has 1 song. Should there be a folder of artists with less then 5 songs in the collection to go to a singles finder.

2. I don't know what I'm going to do about album details. It's cool having a picture of the album and year.  I don't think I can save that in a playlist file.

3. Search problems. I don't know jriver ability to search for those additional fields of they are only located in playlists.  I like the idea I can choose albums I bought in 2010 and listen to that music.  If in a playlist how would that be saved or searched.

4. Redundancy. I need this to survive in case the jriver library fails. It hasn't happened since version 13 of jriver but incase it did I would need to restore this playlist structure.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

swiv3d

Re: Storing music for efficiency
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 07:05:59 pm »

Lot easier to add another hard disc.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 07:10:43 pm »

Agreed again Swiv3d.

Even if you can't fit another drive into the PC, you can replace an existing one. You can buy 12TB hard drives these days. That would take a lot of work to fill up with music.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

icanrule

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 08:17:26 pm »

For reasons I don't want to get into I have limited space and limited finances.  I need to work within my current framework.  I understand if you can't help but I'm looking for a solution to this problem to fit these specific parameters. 

swiv3d

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 08:34:10 pm »

If you are looking to remove duplicates of songs such as your beatles numbers it would be simple to delete the ones you don't want - reorganising with loads of playlists won't work. Removing duplicates can prove troublesome and you really need to find the version you most prefer before you remove any. Personally I would be reluctant to remove such files and would opt for a usb drive to add to my machine - 1tb types are very reasonable in price and MC doesn't care where your music files are as long as you indicate where to import them from.
Pages: [1]   Go Up