INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crash on jtv file playback  (Read 672 times)

t42

• Recent member
Crash on jtv file playback
« on: May 09, 2019, 03:39:05 pm »

Hi, I recently performed an upgrade to my HTPC, going from Win 7 + MC23 to a new SSD with Win 10 + MC25. I have a separate internal HDD for recorded TV storage (in jtv format, in case the title wasn't a giveaway).
I performed a library backup in MC23 and restored in MC25, set up my freeview TV channels and recording rules again etc.
All appears to be good, with the exception that a few of my old jtv recordings crash MC25 (client and server) in Win 10. I tried installing MC23 alongside and they also crash in that. I never experienced this with the Win 7 + MC23 combo. I've now found a couple of files this happens with, so it's not a one-off corrupt file.
In both versions of MC I get "Opening" in the top bar when trying to play the file, then a Windows message stating "Media Center 23/25 has stopped working". MC then complains of an incomplete shutdown on the next run.
Needless to say playing Russian roulette with recording files is not going to go down well with the family!

Anyone have any advice/insight into what could be going on?

PS: I wasn't sure if I should post this in the TV or MC25 forum, but as it's related to file playback rather than live/recording TV I picked the latter. Please could a mod move if I've got it wrong?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Crash on jtv file playback
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 06:51:26 pm »

First, I would stick with using MC25 now that you have installed it, as there are no huge changes between the two versions that would make MC23 significantly more stable than MC25, in the JTV playback area. At least not that I'm aware of, or can remember. I do use the JTV format for my recordings. I just played the oldest JTV recording I have, from July 2013, and it played fine in the latest MC25. I was even playing on a Client, from my HTPC acting as a MC Server. So it still works fine.

Next, I would look to your firewall to make sure that MC isn't being blocked from downloading the components it requires to play video. Basically the main MC exe's need to be set to Allow access through the firewall. A search of the forum will provide a lot of information on that. I think this one is your issue.

If JTV files still don't play, and crash MC, I do think you have corrupt files, or a failing hard drive. As your recordings are all on the one internal hard drive, check it out with an appropriate tool. I use Hard Drive Sentinel on all my drives so that I get warning of any potential issue.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

t42

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 04:47:49 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried turning the firewall off and also reverting back to the Win 7 + MC23 SSD and get the same issues. I think my TV record drive is on the way out. :(

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 06:54:40 pm »

I think my TV record drive is on the way out. :(

Well, it has to happen eventually. Hard drive used for TV recordings to get thrashed pretty hard.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 07:15:53 pm »

Real Drives could take it.

t42

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 02:21:00 pm »

Real Drives could take it.
Is this a drive recovery service/software? I can't find any info online.

Any recommendations for a new ~500GB drive? Are SSD's still not recommended for recording duties?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 04:57:44 pm »

I'm sorry.  Real Drives was a not very funny joke.

SSD's are great for any purpose related to digital media.

In our Id, we use Kingston or Sandisk or Samsung.  All have been reliable.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 06:48:14 pm »

Any recommendations for a new ~500GB drive? Are SSD's still not recommended for recording duties?

SSDs are fine for recording duties. I prefer Intel, Sandisk (Western Digital), or Samsung.

But 500GB isn't much for a TV recording drive, and you can get Hard Disk drives up to 12TB these days. Unless you really want a quieter PC, and just watch and delete all TV recordings pretty quickly, I would go with another HDD in your PC. It sounds like that is what you had before.

If you go with a HDD, I have used the Western Digital Red drives, which are just a little bit better than the old Green drives that used to be available. The Red drives are still a good choice, but the Blues are probably still good, and the Purples are for always-on applications (surveillance) so would be good, but are a bit more expensive though.

I'm not a fan of Seagate, but apparently they have some pretty good HDDs these days as well.

Lots of choice, and storage devices are far better quality than they used to be. Just research before you buy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up