INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver MC doesn't display ASS (Advanced SubStation Alpha) subs correctly.  (Read 981 times)

YandereKate

• Recent member

Sorry if this is not the right place for this.

I've noticed this problem for a while finally getting around to posting about it.
As the title says ASS (Advanced SubStation Alpha) subs don't display correctly in Media Center.

Media Center

VLC

As you can see Media Center doesn't create a newline and lets the subs fall off of the the side.

Media Center

VLC

And here Media Center doesn't respect any of the sizes

The following is the subs used in this show
https://dl.yanderekate.com/Owarimonogatari_01.honorifics.ass

Timestamps for the screenshots are 0:00:03.50 for the first and 0:07:22.88 for the second

I love JRiver for Audio and regular Movies but fan subbed Anime is not great.

Is there I setting I can change with one of my renders to fix the subs? Or is this a MC issue?

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

MC has problem displaying ASS … this been issue for a loooooong time

For first case … subtitle in question has no line breaks … but ASS header specifies [WrapStyle: 0] which is [smart wrapping, lines are evenly broken] … VLC respects WrapStyle … MC ignores it

For second case … its one of the biggest issue - if there are multiple items on the screen, MC does not respect format specified for each item … so those items are all over the place (except the last item that appears) … as new items are added/removed from screen, all previous item on screen change to new format/positions … so things jump a lot around the screen if there are lots of items on screen at same time making it super annoying

Also lots of ASS(SSA 4.0+ … subsequent versions are not standardized and have lots of branching, so can ignore those) features are not supported (karaoke, text rotation, transparency etc)

This is probably the last frontier MC is lagging behind other media players (Kodi, VLC, MPC-HC, Plex all display them correctly) … making MC pretty much useless if you into anime (I use MPC-HC when I need to watch my anime)

Its been said JRiver team will look into this … but so far no news if this will be corrected in MC25

PS. I volunteer to be tester if one is needed :)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

tij

• MC Beta Team

In case JRiver team wonders why there are multiple items on the screen …

Anime community is hard core … and go to great length to create subtitles … any signs (street names, posters, writhing on packages, etc) in Japanese are translated, scaled, match in color, transformed (rotate, sheer, etc) to match original … and is put next to original sing on screen … if that text is changing (moving or scaling) on screen, the subtitle will match it

So if there is BOOM on the screen in Japanese … which is scaled up and down rapidly … subtitle will match it

if there is scrolling text on handheld device in Japanese, subtitle will match it

On top of that … there is normal subtitles going on (one that translates speech)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

We'll get it fixed soon.  Sorry for the problem.

YandereKate

• Recent member

Glad to see that this is on their radar,
BTW When you guys get around to testing this I can volunteer too as I have a bunch of anime that have that crazy "scripting" going on that tij just described.
Pages: [1]   Go Up