INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amp advice  (Read 980 times)

terrys999

• Recent member
Amp advice
« on: May 12, 2019, 07:15:27 am »

Not sure if I should post here, my first post.

Would anyone know if the Cambridge cxa 60 would drive ms bronze 6s?
Ma web site details say min amp 40watts.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Amp advice
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 07:55:46 pm »

Based on the specs quoted here:
https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-monitor-audio-bronze-6-loudspeakers
I can see no reason why your Cambridge cxa 60 amp couldn't drive those speakers. Depends on the room you're trying to fill with sound. That's why you'd get good value out of somethng like this:
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

The key is sensitivity.

I've built a pair of v1.6 Amp Camp Amps working as balanced monoblocks (nominally rated at 15W/ch into 8Ω) and they're driving a pair of 92 dB/W @ 1m speakers (3 way floor standers) without any difficulty into a room that's about 3 m wide x 8 m long. In fact they're pretty durn good. I like to tell people, "I made this music myself".

Not that I do this on a regular basis, my setup will get the windows shaking without obvious distortion or clipping. So, this should show you that you don't necessarily need enormous amounts of power to drive speakers. It's one of those, "it depends" questions.

In fact, I wish that I'd had this understanding years ago. It might have got me sorting out DIY audio sooner. Not that I need to (the ACAs are fine but who can pass up "MORE POWER!"), I'm in the middle of a 25W / ch Aleph J build. And down the track, I'll try my hand at a speaker build ... and, no surprise, I'll be targetting high sensitivity units to make for an easy job for the amp.

All the best with your journey.

EDIT:
Had to share the pretty blue lights:

Class A goodness not only warms your heart, it warms your hands as well.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up