INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ARTISTSORT or ALBUMARTISTSORT  (Read 1725 times)

grewterd

• Recent member
ARTISTSORT or ALBUMARTISTSORT
« on: May 15, 2019, 05:41:05 pm »

I had to reinstall Windows and I'm now trying to get MC setup again and I cannot get it to sort by either ARTISTSORT or ALBUMARTISTSORT. I've searched and tried to comprehend the posts but nothing is working.

I have gone to Tools, Options, Library & Folders, Manage Library Fields and added ARTISTSORT, ALBUMARTISTSORT, Artist Sort, ArtistSort, etc. I've then added this to the Tag view and updated the tags from the library but nothing populating.

Could someone walk me through how to do this? I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

swiv3d

Re: ARTISTSORT or ALBUMARTISTSORT
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 12:45:32 am »

Why are you trying to do this? Just tell MC to sort using the field Artist or by Album Artist.

grewterd

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 06:03:43 am »

Why are you trying to do this? Just tell MC to sort using the field Artist or by Album Artist.

How? Sorry, I'm struggling getting this to work. I'm sure I'm just being a dummy.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 06:19:18 am »

You just click on the word Artist, for example, to sort by that.
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Content_Panel

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 10:17:24 am »

There is a very legit reason to want to use ARTISTSORT rather than just using ARTIST.  If you want to sort by artist last name but display FirstName/LastName then ARTIST SORT comes in very handy.  As an example.  You could tag Artist as Eric Clapton and tag Artistsort as Clapton, Eric.

swiv3d

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 01:08:24 pm »

I messed with this once some time ago but found the effort outweighed the gain.

grewterd

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 06:49:02 pm »

It's possible, I know, I had it set that way before I had to reinstall. I just cannot remember how to do it.

grewterd

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 06:49:54 pm »

You just click on the word Artist, for example, to sort by that.
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Content_Panel

I'm not trying to sort by the Artist. I'm trying to sort by the ARTISTSORT field in the tags.

grewterd

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 07:16:15 pm »

Ahh HAH!

When Windows reinstalled, it kept my Users folder and I found the J River folder! This is going on my Wiki.

Create a Library Field by going to Tools, Options, then Library & Folders, click Manage Library Fields.

Click "Add New Field", name it ArtistSort with the options below.

Customize the view by clicking View, Customize View.

Click "Add", select ArtistSort.

Add this twice, then add Album, or whatever.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 07:32:26 pm »

When Windows reinstalled, it kept my Users folder and I found the J River folder! This is going on my Wiki.

If that is the case, and you haven't changed the location of Library Backups, you should just be able to find a backup in "C:\Users\[User ID]\Documents\JRiver\Media Center 25\Library Backups" and Restore that Library, which will get all your settings and Library configuration back as it was.

Add this twice, then add Album, or whatever.

If you go this path, you shouldn't need to add ArtistSort twice. Something is wrong. The Restore Library path would be better.

PS: Maybe because you have the "Grouping" item checked and set to one. You shouldn't need that for this View, I think. Try without it.

I have gone to Tools, Options, Library & Folders, Manage Library Fields and added ARTISTSORT, ALBUMARTISTSORT, Artist Sort, ArtistSort, etc. I've then added this to the Tag view and updated the tags from the library but nothing populating.

I hope you meant "Update Library from Tags", or you might have overwritten tags in your media files.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

grewterd

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 08:08:26 pm »

If that is the case, and you haven't changed the location of Library Backups, you should just be able to find a backup in "C:\Users\[User ID]\Documents\JRiver\Media Center 25\Library Backups" and Restore that Library, which will get all your settings and Library configuration back as it was.

Yup! There it was!

If you go this path, you shouldn't need to add ArtistSort twice. Something is wrong. The Restore Library path would be better.

PS: Maybe because you have the "Grouping" item checked and set to one. You shouldn't need that for this View, I think. Try without it.

You know, I think you are right here. What I have is folders (for lack of a better term) A - Z sorted by ArtistSort, in there are folders for each artist sorted by ArtistSort, albums inside there. I dunno, it's not broke now, I may not fix it!

I hope you meant "Update Library from Tags", or you might have overwritten tags in your media files.

Eek, me too!

I really hope this helps anyone else out there trying to do this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up