INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Change to HDMI Audio degrades HDMI Video  (Read 777 times)

RayDiant

• Junior Woodchuck
Change to HDMI Audio degrades HDMI Video
« on: May 20, 2019, 07:11:34 pm »

I recently bought a rather nice Yamaha Rx A1080 Home Theatre Receiver. I have this connected to my Panasonic OLED TV. With JRiver MC24 the video appears to be dropping frames and stuttering. I have played with the settings and upgraded the video card software. If I use Red October HQ the video is nearly unwatchable. The best image comes if I select EVR as the renderer and not madVR. Before this I was using the optical output from my computer for audio, rather than the HDMI audio, and the connection to the TV was direct from the computer rather than through the Rx A1080, and the video was great. This is the only change from the computer's perspective. My system is:
Intel Core i5-4570S 2.9 GHz
Asrock Z87 Extreme4 Motherboard
8Gb RAM
Sapphire HD 7750 Ultimate, Radeon HD 7750 Video Card,
Windows 10
MC24 auto update (not sure of the build number)

My graphics card is old but it should be able to handle a 1080p video and the audio with no problem.

Am I missing something here?

Mark

RayDiant

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Change to HDMI Audio degrades HDMI Video
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 02:54:56 am »

Here's a new twist. If I extend the display and watch a movie on the TV (and not on the computer monitor) it is fine using ROHQ on the highest setting. When I duplicate the displays it stutters.

Weird.

Any advice?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 06:49:35 am »

Did you try MC's Red October HQ (with no customization)?  It also has a couple of settings in MC that you could try.

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 01:12:18 pm »

Is your oled HD or 4k ... is your monitor 4k?

If your tv is hd, there is no scaling when watching 1080p (might be chroma upsampling if you outputting 4:4:4 or 4:2:2)

If your monitor is 4k ... then there is fair bit of upscaling involved

To track what’s going on it’s useful to see madVR stats during rendering (press Ctr+J to see it) ... posting those stats can help us see where the problem is

PS. Another problem I can think of is you outputting to display at 60fps ... that puts serious strain on madVR ... but can’t definitely tell you unless you post screenshot of madVR stats

PSS. It’s often mentioned that nvidia plays better with madvr
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

RayDiant

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: SOLVED Change to HDMI Audio degrades HDMI Video
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 04:20:35 pm »

Thanks for the responses. I figured it out. For some reason when I inserted the Yamaha receiver in the path to the OLED TV (it is 4K) and turned the sound on through HDMI the video driver for the Monitor stayed at 60Hz but the TV switched to 50Hz (this is the AMD windows driver). So duplication was creating confusion. Interesting that the video card could handle pumping a video to a 50Hz TV and  the computer display to a 60Hz monitor but not do it to both. One odd thing is that in the Radeon app for my video card the details of the TV are there - Panasonic model number, resolution ... but the AMD driver just has Generic PnP monitor. There are no other options either. For my monitor the AMD windows driver identifies it as the Dell that it is.

Thanks again,

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up