INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wake on LAN  (Read 1217 times)

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
Wake on LAN
« on: May 22, 2019, 06:55:38 am »

Can JRiver use WOL to wake up a server when the title is on a powered off network share?

These are a few of the features that still tie me to MCE/Mymovies as a front-end, along with categories support and direct episode playback with Bluray / UHD Bluray TV Series.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Wake on LAN
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 07:16:43 am »

Wake on LAN is supported, but it can be tricky to implement.  You'll probably need to use the trial version.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Wake_on_Lan

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 12:30:05 pm »

Wake on LAN is supported, but it can be tricky to implement.  You'll probably need to use the trial version.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Wake_on_Lan

Thanks. I've owned MC for years (including the latest MC25). Any reason why I would need to use the trial version? Is there a plugin that needs to be bought?

I had seen that thread but I don't understand what's the point of this. Is it to WOL or WOW the JRiver server? That's not what I want to do. I want JRiver to WOL a NAS when the title I'm trying to play points to a network share that's on a NAS that's powered off. MyMovies supports this with a list of the various shares used in the library, and the corresponding MAC address to which a WOL packet has to be sent. Why does it have to be more complicated, and especially why the need to use port 9? I'm confused.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 01:34:48 pm »

Did you try it with MC25?

If the server supports WOL, I would expect any access to the server to wake it up.  The NAS manufacturer should have instructions.

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 03:14:27 pm »

Did you try it with MC25?

If the server supports WOL, I would expect any access to the server to wake it up.  The NAS manufacturer should have instructions.

Thanks. All my NAS boxes are configured for WOL, and work fine when I use the QNAP/SYNOLOGY/MyMovies/MiCasaVerde software to wake them up.

So there is no further configuration to do on the NAS side.

However, JRiver can't guess the MAC address of each NAS box to which it would have to send the WOL magic packet. In the library, it only has a Mapped drive, or at best a UNC path. That's not enough. So where do we set up the MAC Address to which send the WOL magic packet to each NAS in JRiver?

That's why I haven't tried (yet) with MC25. But if you're saying that it should automagically work, I'm happy to give it a try :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up