INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No connection to DLNA TV  (Read 687 times)

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
No connection to DLNA TV
« on: May 26, 2019, 01:48:18 pm »

I am using MC mainly to play movies to my TV set over DLNA. This used to work fine in all MC versions under Windows Vista, but has become painfully difficult unter Windows 10 (perhaps due to security reasons, does anybody know more?)...

In MC 24 (Win 10 64-bit), to connect MC and TV (direct link by Ethernet crossover cable), I first needed to select 'Network Setting' on my TV (choosing 'Automatic IP', where manual IP input is also offered), and then re-start MC before the connection was established.

Using the same method (and identical settings, imported by fresh install today), MC 25 does find my TV in the network and shows it under 'Playing Now' alright -- but unfortunately the TV does not see MC, and so does not offer it as network source for playback...

Who can help me get MC 25 and TV connected? Thank you...
"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: No connection to DLNA TV
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 08:44:10 pm »

If you connect tv directly to PC ... then likely your TV and PC cannot get IP address. Can think of 3 ways:

1. You assign IP addresses manually to your TV (through TV menus) and network interface on your PC that connects (through Windows 10) to that TV ... assign IP addresses must be on same subnet

2. Easiest way is to connect TV and PC to router (or switch, but that switch must also be linked to router) ... then router will assign IP addresses to TV and your PC through dhcp

3. Set up your PC to act as dhcp on interface that directly connects to PC ... then PC will assign IP address to your TV

HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 08:01:24 am »

Thank you, that sounds interesting... some considerations on my side:

- Manual IP addressing was tried already, but didn't work out (so present IP settings are 'automatic' both on PC and TV).

- My router is on the opposite end of the room, only linked to the PC thru wireless (which I don't want to use for streaming to the TV), and connecting them thru ethernet would require many meters of cables all across the room and back again...

- The most likely solution seems to be your 3rd idea, "Set up your PC to act as dhcp on interface that directly connects to PC" which will then assign IP to the TV. (In fact, the TV always asks for DHCP when the connection fails...)  How do I have to set this up in Win 10?

"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 12:32:24 am »

Easiest is actually manual in your case ... you probably set it up incorrectly

For PC (adapter that connects to TV) ... use 192.168.22.1 for IP ... mask 255.255.255.0 ... gateway and dns can put 192.168.22.1

For TV ... use 192.168.22.2 for IP ... mask 255.255.255.0 ... gateway and dns put 192.168.22.1

PS. TV won’t have access to internet

PSS. 192.168.xx.xx are address for private subnets ... I pick 22 arbitrary (likely your router is using 0 or 1 for that ... you don’t want to use same subnet as router as there maybe IP address collision)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 12:38:46 am »

Also can try bridging your network that connects to TV with your WiFi interface on PC (in that case TV IP setting should be set to automatic)

TV will get internet ... but not sure file transfer between PC and TV will be direct (pc might send things to router via WiFi first ... then router send back to pc via WiFi again ... then pc sends via Lan to tv) ... I might be wrong ... only way to find out is try lol

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 12:54:25 pm »

Easiest is actually manual in your case ... you probably set it up incorrectly

Thanks for your detailed instructions, maybe I'll have another try, however all possible things for manual IPs were tested already and none worked, believe it or not...

What about setting up the PC for DHCP so it assigns IPs without a router involved? So far, my PCs ethernet (LAN) adapter's advanced properties say "DHCP enabled"... but that doesn't seem to do, as TV keeps complaining "No DHCP setting for Gateway" was specified... It then assigns an automatic IP, but I have to re-establish a new connection each time...

Any solution to this would be much appreciated!!

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 01:45:03 pm »

what you see in Advance setting "DHCP enabled" means your LAN port on PC will try obtain IP address from DHCP server

I thought Windows 10 has build-in DHCP server … apparently not (or its not obvious how to do it)

… try manual thing first … specifying IP manually requires some degree of knowledge … you cannot just put any IP address … must be at least in same subnet … try values I gave earlier

… if that does not work … try bridging LAN connected to TV with wifi connection on your PC … select both interfaces then right click them … there should be option there for bridging

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 02:34:34 pm »

what you see in Advance setting "DHCP enabled" means your LAN port on PC will try obtain IP address from DHCP server. I thought Windows 10 has build-in DHCP server … apparently not (or its not obvious how to do it)

I see thanks... just did some research, and it seems the simple way to set DHCP in Windows is to either select 'automatic' or 'manual' mode for the chosen adapter's IPv4 properties (automatic = DHCP enabled / manual = DHCP disabled). As simple as that.

Will try manual IPs using the ones you proposed, then report back... again, thank you for taking the time to help!

try bridging LAN connected to TV with wifi connection on your PC … there should be option there for bridging

Just for curiousity, what is 'bridging' all about?

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 07:39:39 pm »

Forgot to mention -- after a full (cold) restart of Windows, MC25 will now connect again to TV like MC24 used to do (perhaps the DNS cache needed to be cleared for the new connection to work)...

Under Vista this was so easy -- just set a manual IP address and subnet mask for LAN, neither DNS nor Gateway required, and the TV in automatic IP mode would connect to the library server whenever MC was running (IP address used was 192.168.0.1, subnet mask always 255.255.255.0 on both devices)...

And yet this exact setting keeps failing in Windows 10... So I tried a static address also for the TV (e.g. 192.168.0.2) using the PC's IP (192.168.0.1) as 'Gateway', but that failed again... perhaps I did something wrong there...

I wonder, can Ethernet & WiFi IP addresses come in conflict at all, even when the wireless network is all set to automatic IPs / DHCP? For example, my wireless & internet router has a static IP address (192.168.178.1)... completely different from any I used for PC-TV ethernet setup... Any more insights?

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 07:54:57 pm »

Bridging two network is like putting patch cable between them so they become one network

Eg ... two building have LAN ... you can run LAN cable between them ... but also can put WiFi between buildings and bridge WiFi to LAN on each end

In your case ... bridging what you have will make TV think it is directly connectted WiFi (soort of like WiFi access points)
Pages: [1]   Go Up