INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exporting Playlist to External Device (DAP)  (Read 1281 times)

holsen

• Recent member
Exporting Playlist to External Device (DAP)
« on: May 26, 2019, 08:51:35 pm »

I'm sure this question has been asked a multitude of times but I cant find the answer so here we go:  I'm trying to export a playlist from JRiver where all files in the library are on a NAS Drive Drive M: to an external DAP where all files are on an SD Card.   I've tried to export as "Relative Path" but playlist show up as M:\Artist Folder\track.    The Files on the SD Card are all on the root directory of the SD.    I'm assuming that I should not save the playlist into a directory \playlists  but rather just save the playlists as m3U files on the root directory also.   

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Exporting Playlist to External Device (DAP)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 10:35:42 pm »

The Files on the SD Card are all on the root directory of the SD.

Well, this is the main problem. Even when you get relative paths working correctly, and it does work correctly, MC is going to export the playlist with full paths to the sub-directory locations it knows about in the MC Library.

So if your music files are in say "M:\Music\Pet Shop Boys\Actually\", and you have the SD card mounted as F:\, and you use relative paths, and you save the Playlists in F:\Playlists, then the path in the Playlists will be;
.\..\Music\Pet Shop Boys\Actually\
That is, the path to the files is relative to the location of the Playlist.

There is no way within MC to strip the path down to just F:\, so that a file called "M:\Music\Pet Shop Boys\Actually\Pet Shop Boys - 01 - Actually - One More Chance.flac" is found in "F:\Pet Shop Boys - Actually - 01 - One More Chance.flac".

But you can edit the Playlist file to make that happen.

But why did you put all the files into the root directory? Generally, that is a very bad thing to do. There are restrictions on the number of files that can be stored in the root directory of any device, usually imposed by the OS in use, but also by the device format.

In your situation, unless the DAP requires that files be in the root directory, I would use the Sync Handheld functionality of MC, sync to the SD card on the PC, and use relative paths. Even if you don't use the same sub-directory structure as used on your NAS, MC will write the correct paths to the files, based on your settings in Sync Handheld. Then all should work.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

holsen

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 11:22:36 am »

Thanks for that.   I've got the playlist sync working (mostly)

My file directory on the NAS is "M:\Pet Shop Boys\Actually\" and the playlists on the device did copy over as ".\..\Music\Pet Shop Boys\Actually\" and the device is reading them just fine   BUT

I've created this playlist in JRiver with about 150 songs on it.   The Files on the SD Card were copied over directly from the same NAS that JRiver Library is connected to.   When Syncing the Playlist roughly 75% of the tracks show as already on the device and the other 25% are being duplicated into the Album folder on the device even though they are already there.   It makes no sense to me.   The file names and file paths are all identical but JRiver during sync duplicates 25% of the tracks giving them a new name  "\folder\track name (01).flac"   What could be causing this and how do I correct it? It's only on some tracks and  I'ts filling my SD Card with space eating duplicates?

I'm thinking I may just wipe the card and send everything over with a Sync HandHeld

But here's the 2nd issue:

My library on NAS is over  3TB  but SD Card on the deivice is only 400GB (366 useable)  Under sync options I see only 2 options: "All Audio" and "Playlists"   "All Audio" wont fit on the card so if I only want to sync over Lets say 300 Albums is the best way to do this to set up new playlist containing those albums?  Or is there a better way to keep in sync the Media Files I want on the device?   Thanks Again

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 04:49:04 pm »

Handheld Sync can get out of whack sometimes, particularly if you move some or all files manually. Sometimes the "Recheck Sync" function will sort that out.

Don't tick "All Audio". Use Playlists to define what to sync. Read the Wiki article I linked to thoroughly, and the Handheld Sync Options article it links to. Best to clear the SD card and use Handheld Sync to manage all file transfer, tracks and Playlists.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up