INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Impossible to hear first 15-30 seconds of a song via Gizmo  (Read 515 times)

robland

• Junior Woodchuck

Just upgraded to 25.0.37 (64-bit)...

Here's the setup - Win10 laptop running JRiver streaming flac files from QNAP NAS to Hegel streamer/dac/amp. Using Gizmo app on Samsung Note 9 phone.

See attached video - it's impossible to successfully stream a song via remote or laptop and hear beginning of song.

All songs start with 15-30 seconds of STATIC.

Tried rebooting NAS, laptop, phone, and Hegel -- all with no success.

This is literally driving me insane. Any suggestions? I upgraded solely to see if this problem would disappear, but no, it persists.

robland

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Impossible to hear first 15-30 seconds of a song via Gizmo
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 09:36:58 pm »

So you don't support uploading a video clip, but just imagine 30 seconds of the most annoying static-y noise you can, and you'll get the picture.

Also, this issue never occurs playing from Win10 laptop to desktop dac and speakers. Only music over the network to the Hegel is affected.

robland

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 09:38:54 pm »

Finally, this issue is maddeningly intermittent. Sometimes (though rarely) Gizmo can play any song, and it successfully starts and plays, just like you imagine it should.

But most of the time, heinous static -- is it buffering? streaming too slowly? or quickly?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 06:40:18 am »

I think this is your setup:
MC running on Win10
Files on QNAP NAS.
Audio playing on DAC
Gizmo is just controlling playback.

Gizmo doesn't have anything to do with the static since it's only selecting files.

Are you using the QNAP's DLNA Server?  If so, don't.  Just import files directly into MC.

The noise is coming from the DAC, so that's where you need to focus your debugging.

The wiki has a topic on DAC's.  It's worth reading.  Some don't handle changing formats very well.  MC has an option to play leading silence to work around that problem.  Better is to use MC's DSP Studio > Output settings to force everything to the same bitrate/sample rate.

Can you play files on the Win10 machine to the Hegel DAC?  Does the DAC show up in MC's Playing Now (may take a minute or two)?
Pages: [1]   Go Up