INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apache Guacamole  (Read 502 times)

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Apache Guacamole
« on: May 31, 2019, 08:27:26 am »

Not sure if there are licensing issues, but I was reading about Apache Guacamole and couldn't stop thinking about how awesome it would be if it was a part of MC. Remote, client-less VNC of MC standard or theater view available in any browser. How cool would that be?

bob

• Administrator
Re: Apache Guacamole
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 08:49:19 am »

Not sure if there are licensing issues, but I was reading about Apache Guacamole and couldn't stop thinking about how awesome it would be if it was a part of MC. Remote, client-less VNC of MC standard or theater view available in any browser. How cool would that be?
Interesting but I wonder what the performance looks like?
Generally methods of access like remote desktop and vnc are heavily optimized.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 09:44:59 am »

Not sure why it would need to be part of MC. You can just install this yourself and access your desktop?
*Maybe* on an Id it would be cool to use if it performs well, but standard MC .. if you want it, install it? :) Semi-unrelated services should probably not just ship with your media application.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 07:30:02 pm »

I think that one of the goals of MC is to be able to easily access and manage your media remotely. Standard view is the best way to manage media, which is replicated via Media Server. But there are plenty of instances where running a full Media Server client isn't feasible, which you've already established with Panel development.

A separate vnc/rdp server, clientless or otherwise, takes time and configuration that a lot of people aren't capable of, or don't want to do. That's been the idea behind a slew of MC features, like Red October and Carnac. Sure, people can install and configure their own codecs, but why not do it for them if you can? Build it in and give them a checkbox to activate it.

This was really a pie in the sky request, but I don't think it falls outside of the featureset you want to provide for your users. Panel is great in a pinch, but it's not standard view. It certainly isn't faster in its current incarnation at loading views than a vnc/rdp/nx session serving standard view.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 07:41:03 pm »

Install it. Try it. Tell us if it works better than the alternatives.

I've never been happy with any remote desktop solution. Too slow. Poor graphics. Other issues that make them a pain to use. If this HTML5 solution is better, I'd be interested. But if it just requires a server installation and a little setup, a Wiki article and communication regarding its availability may be all that users need, rather than installation as part of MC.

If it gave me full server edit capabilities on my Workstation, that would definitely be of use. You know, View editing, using RM&CF, etc.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 08:32:28 am »

Install it. Try it. Tell us if it works better than the alternatives.

I've never been happy with any remote desktop solution. Too slow. Poor graphics. Other issues that make them a pain to use. If this HTML5 solution is better, I'd be interested. But if it just requires a server installation and a little setup, a Wiki article and communication regarding its availability may be all that users need, rather than installation as part of MC.

If it gave me full server edit capabilities on my Workstation, that would definitely be of use. You know, View editing, using RM&CF, etc.

I have used Guacamole and it works just as you would expect a VNC server to act (depends primarily on your network connection). The HTML client has very little overhead from what I can tell.

But the goal here would be to just serve up the MC window, not the entire desktop. I think that would be a nice experience, to fire up a web browser and have your remote MC standard view sitting there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up