DELETED
« on: May 31, 2019, 01:04:39 pm »

DELETED

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC24 UHD ISO vs JRiver Rip to Folder- Pros & Cons of each request
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 02:39:42 pm »

Not sure there is a "pro" for ISO. MC doesn't support reading BD ISOs natively, and you would somehow have to rig up mounting into a virtual drive by yourself.
Can't think of anything ISO gains you, at that.

Personally, I even go a step further and rip to MKV, but I guess thats not for everyone since you lose menus and extras etc.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 03:36:20 pm »

that tells you how to do something, not that you should do it.  What makes you think it is a recommendation?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 04:15:19 pm »

I don't understand what you mean by this mattkhan... I never said it was a recommendation. Is there some reason why not to play ISO's? What's the point you're trying to make here? What's the point of the JRiver Wiki telling you how to do something if you're not supposed to do it? Please provide clarification.
Hendrik is  saying "there is no advantage to using an ISO"
you then ask a question which reads as if the wiki is recommending you to use ISO

If this is so, then read the ISO wiki, and you can see how I got this idea... maybe it should be edited to be less ambiguous:

the key phrase being "you can see how I got this idea"

A wiki is just a source of information, it is mostly telling you how to do something not telling you what to do (as there are loads of different things that people want to do)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 04:20:17 pm »

There really is no reason these days to rip to ISO, with maybe the exception of 3D BD (which if ripped as folder will be twice the size as both eyes are extracted as separate files).  There is also a bit of historical background to rip to ISO when that Wiki was written.  As decryption was newish and the tools changing, one mfr recommended ISO (protected) as it ensured that you could play your ISO with the latest version of the decryption tool so you did not have to re-rip if there was some error in the process.  That worry is long gone.
JRiver CEO Elect

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 05:39:50 pm »

mattkhan, your interpretation of the conversation is incorrect.
Fair enough, will read the tea leaves more closely next time  :)

You may want to consider your posting style btw if you want to actually have people (try to) help you. Good luck!

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 06:00:33 pm »

Hendrik said, "MC doesn't support reading BD ISOs natively, and you would somehow have to rig up mounting into a virtual drive by yourself."

and my reply to that was, "If this is so, then read the ISO wiki, and you can see how I got this idea... maybe it should be edited to be less ambiguous:"

...and then I posted the link and body of its text to show where I had gotten the idea that I could play BD ISOs in JRiver...

What I said is perfectly accurate. You have to manually setup a way to mount those ISOs into a virtual drive. The Wiki outlines the steps of one way how to manually do this, which will result in the disc being mounted by an external tool as a virtual drive. Not sure where there is any conflict with what I said?
Installing a separate application like VirtualCloneDrive (VCD) to facilitate this is as manual as it comes. Media Center cannot open an ISO. It needs additionally installed software for that. This is not "native".

Blu-ray folder rips, they play out of the box, just drop the folder in MC, and it'll play.
ISOs, require a 13 step process of software installation and settings changes as outlined on the Wiki.

Hence maybe you can see which method I would recommend.

Lets summarize:
Zero Pros for ISOs, and one big fat Con: Its complicated to setup, and the mounting process can be a bit whacky.
For Folders: Pro: Works out of the box and no whackyness. Con: Can be larger for 3D discs (although some ripping tools avoid that).
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up