INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: J River ate three restores with Firebird...  (Read 1280 times)

DanielEKFA

• Recent member
J River ate three restores with Firebird...
« on: May 14, 2003, 11:56:21 am »

Not exactly a good customer relation decision to close threads that contain questions concerning problems with your web site, now is it?

I'd like to comment on your last and final remark:

It's not exactly sufficient to write in the FAQ that you should use IE, unless you rebaptize the FAQ to FOE (for Frequently Occurring Errors). It makes no sense to check the FAQ for that kind of info, as it's not a problem you frequently run into. The Firebird browser is based on Navigator, as is Mozilla, which means your system is incompatible with not only these three browsers but with all other that are either Navigator or based on Navigator. Granted, 91% of all browsers are IE, but the LEAST you could do is put the info on the page. It's only eight words, they'll take fifteen seconds to put in the script, and they will provide better service for your customers:

"You must use Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher"

Regards,
Daniel

whoeveryouare

• nothing more to say...
Re: J River ate three restores with Firebird...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2003, 12:05:48 pm »

It's the other way around--Netscape is based on Mozilla.  In truth, Mozilla is actually "demo software", and not really intended for use by typical end users.

http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/faq/general.html#1.1

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2003, 12:22:19 pm »

I'm not sure that really addresses the point, though...

whoeveryouare

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2003, 12:29:53 pm »

Sure it does.  If the problem happens with Netscape, it should be addressed.  If it happens with half-done demo software...

NoCodeUK

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2003, 12:39:32 pm »

Daniel,

If you do not kow about how Mozilla or Firebird work at a basic level like dowloading files then I would say you probably shouldn't be using them as an everyday browser.  As for saying I wont use IE because it is not very good well thats just ludicrous.  Okay M$ monopolised their way to the top but now they are there IE is by far the best browser except maybe for Opera.  Its XML support is second to none.  And as for this not being something in the FAQ...Again i think if something goes wrong when trying to download a restore the first pace I would look is the FAQ...

I don't think you will find a much more supportive colelctive of programmers than J River if you post in a respectable and polite manner.  If you come in with all guns blazing when you are unknown in the forum your posts are likely to be locked.  Think about how you deliver what you say and there will not be a problem...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2003, 12:43:37 pm »

Daniel,
It's the way it is.  I'm sorry you're not happy with it.  If you use a browser that is less well known, you may expect to have unusual problems.

We cannot possibly make what we do work with all browsers, so we go with the standard.

I am closing this thread.  If you want to complain about it, I'm jimh @ jriver.com.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up