INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a way to sort movies by audio format?  (Read 740 times)

ryanmii

Is there a way to sort movies by audio format?
« on: June 06, 2019, 11:24:10 am »

I'd like to be able to view which of my movies support Dolby Atmos but I don't see any way to easily view what audio format my movies have without playing them first. Is there a way I can get a list view with audio formats for my collection? Or maybe some sort option that I can pick what audio format I want and it shows my only movies with that format?

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is there a way to sort movies by audio format?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 01:08:52 pm »

[Compression] tag has audio info in it … it will take some expression to extract that info

but atm Atmos is not detected by MC … only base layer … ie TrueHD will be recognized but whether it contains Atoms will not … my rips with Atmos track in them has following [Compression] tag "mkv video (video: h264, audio: truehd)"

You do realize that Atmos can be included in EAC3 (lossy format) … that's what Netflix uses

So … in theory Atmos on top of EAC3 has inferior sound quality compare to pure TrueHD … sure it has object location base information, but that will be reproduced in EAC3

PS. DTS-X is even worst ... at least MediaInfo detects Atmos reliably … some DTS-X titles are not recognized by MediaInfor and just shown as DTS-HDMA
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

ryanmii

Re: Is there a way to sort movies by audio format?
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 09:06:25 pm »

Thank you, that worked well. Certainly easier than sorting through my entire library to find the Atmos stuff.

I don't have any lossy stuff but I did hear about Netflix's use of it. While I dislike the compression I will gladly take any Atmos vs none and hope bandwidth continues to improve. They did just up their bandwidth for their surround tracks so that's positive even if it's not perfect.
Pages: [1]   Go Up