INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New hard drive for music library  (Read 1098 times)

Donmc

• Recent member
New hard drive for music library
« on: June 07, 2019, 11:49:28 am »

My main external hard drive with my entire music library has failed. Fortunately I have a back up of most of it but I don't know how to redirect the Media Center library to the new drive all at once. Any suggestions?

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
Re: New hard drive for music library
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 12:04:35 pm »

You can do it easily using the Rename, Move, and Copy tool: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

Test the set up on just one title first, but you can change directory letters/root folders for your entire collection to the new hard drive.

Or, more simply, you could give your new hard drive the same drive letter as the old one and then JRiver should see the files there on the new hard drive just as it saw them on the old drive.

john greenwood

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 06:41:25 am »

Further to the above, I too want to copy an existing library to an external hard drive which I would then move to a second computer. (Both computers are mine.)  I have created several custom fields for my library.  Are they included in the file metadata or stored elsewhere?  And if elsewhere how do I move that information as well?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 07:20:17 am »

The wiki has a topic called Moving Files .

Custom fields are part of MC's database backup.

john greenwood

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 08:02:16 am »

So to be clear, if I copy my music directory (and this is only for music) and a back-up of my library from local drive y: to local drive z: and then move drive z: to a second computer, I can then restore the library on the second computer? 

Do I have to worry about matching drive letters (not a big deal) or can I simply edit the location of the music directory once the library is opened on the second machine?

rec head

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 07:51:15 am »

Depending on how much you lost and how the drive died Spinrite might help.

https://www.grc.com/intro.htm

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 08:12:30 am »

i just replaced my 4 drive raid10 array with 6 drive raidz2 on my NAS

copied old data to new array (making sure directory structures were same ... just to be sure) ... then mapped new array to drive letter i used for old array

For MC it was like nothing happened ... everything worked perfect :)

HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

john greenwood

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 05:07:37 pm »

Not sure if either of the last two posts was to my question.  If so, I'm not sure that's the info I need.    Basically what I want to do is:

Copy my Computer 1 music library to a brand new external z: drive of Computer 1
Copy a JRiver back-up from the c: drive of Computer 1 to the z: drive of Computer 1)

Then I will take my z: drive and attach it to Computer 2.  Assume Computer 2 is not networked to Computer 1.  Computer 2 does have a copy of JRiver on it.  Currently the music library on Computer 2 is e:\mymusic, but I will be removing the e: drive and replacing it with the z: drive.  I can reletter the z: drive as e:.

When I restore the back-up made on Computer 1 on Computer 2 will all be well?

Note - I cannot simply re-import my transferred music library as it has customized fields.  Both computers are running Windows 10.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 05:13:54 pm »

The wiki topic is the best answer to your question.  There are two important sets of data.

There are the media files themselves
and
there are is the backup of your MC database.

If you put the media files on the same drive letter and in the same exact structure, and restore or use the same MC database, then you're done. Otherwise, please read the wiki topic.

rec head

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 05:22:42 pm »

Not sure if either of the last two posts was to my question.  If so, I'm not sure that's the info I need.

You said you lost some files. Spinrite might get them back. It has nothing to do with moving the files though.

john greenwood

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 06:19:47 pm »

You said you lost some files. Spinrite might get them back. It has nothing to do with moving the files though.

No, the OP lost files.  I am merely trying to transfer mine to a new hard drive and then move the physical hard drive to a different computer.  Maybe I should have started a new thread.

john greenwood

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 06:29:17 pm »

The wiki topic is the best answer to your question.  There are two important sets of data.

There are the media files themselves
and
there are is the backup of your MC database.

If you put the media files on the same drive letter and in the same exact structure, and restore or use the same MC database, then you're done. Otherwise, please read the wiki topic.

I've read the Wiki topic and used the features described there many times in the past.  But in this case I am moving the physical hard drive from one computer to another, and I would be restoring a back-up created by a copy of JRiver on Computer 1 to a copy of JRiver on Computer 2.  So the bottom line is will JRiver 2 have a problem with a back-up created by JRiver 1 on a different computer.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 06:49:35 pm »

When you say "backup", it's unclear whether you mean the media files or the MC database.

john greenwood

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 07:03:53 pm »

When you say "backup", it's unclear whether you mean the media files or the MC database.

The back-up is the database. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 07:06:40 pm »

The backup of the database will be stored where MC is set to store it and will be normally no problem.

BUT, it points to files where they were (Z:, for example).  If the files end up there, in the same structure, then everything will work.  Otherwise, the wiki topic tells you what to do.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 08:22:32 pm »

John, also note that if you use the Media Network functionality in Computer 1, and want to use it in Computer 2, you will need to get a new Access Key for Computer 2. You can't have two computers using the same Access Key.

Also, the reason for the confusion about the answers above is that you tacked on to someone else's thread. It is always better to start a new thread to ask your questions, so that they are specific to your needs. There have also been many threads with the same question you have, a few very recently. Search is always your friend.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

john greenwood

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 05:55:02 am »

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up