INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote and Apple Carplay  (Read 1416 times)

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
JRemote and Apple Carplay
« on: June 10, 2019, 09:00:24 pm »

I am going to be purchasing a car that has Apple "Carplay" support. I've never used Carplay from my iPhone so I'm not sure how it works. Will I be able to play from JRemote through Carplay? Any insight on this system would be welcome.

burnhamjs

• Recent member
Re: JRemote and Apple Carplay
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 09:32:30 am »

I am in the same situation and have the same question.  I would like to be able to use Apple Carplay and having JRemote streaming my music.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 06:12:27 pm »

I have a car with Apple Carplay and JRemote on the iPhone.

I'm pretty sure it does not work "natively" as in the JRemote icon does not appear on the Carplay screen; but I think it will probably play whatever is playing on the phone if hooked up. Certainly works over the Bluetooth connection.

I'll give it a test over the weekend and let you know.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 03:16:12 pm »

Once you have CarPlay up, you need to start JRemote on your iPhone and start playback from there.  Once you do, CarPlay has a "Now Playing" icon/app.  Selecting that will show that the audio is coming from JRemote, the track title, time, and skip back/next/play/pause options.

Essentially once you are playing back you have control via CarPlay, but if you want to select other play lists/albums/artists, you need to go back to the iPhone.

If you disconnect and then reconnect with JRemote running on your IPhone it will also generally reconnect and resume from where it left off.

I love CarPlay by the way - had the upgrade installed in my Mazda 3 and it works wonderfully well; the Siri integration is excellent too.

Cheers
TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 04:46:44 pm »

Cool that’s about what I expected. We just bought the car today so I’ll be putting it to the test soon. Thanks!

burnhamjs

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 08:47:22 am »

Cool that’s about what I expected. We just bought the car today so I’ll be putting it to the test soon. Thanks!
Awesome.  Let us know your impressions of Carplay/JRemote

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 11:19:27 pm »

I tried this for the first time yesterday and am actually quite pleased with how well it worked.

As mentioned the JRemote app doesn't show up on the Car Play screen (although the Radio Paradise app does!) but once it is playing and Playing Now is selected you get some basic metadata - artist, album, track - and even some artwork in the background.

I was listening to flac files streaming from my home NAS via JRemote on Carplay no problem at all.

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 10:43:41 am »

We picked up the new car last week (2019 Subaru Forester) and thought I would report back on my question. For those who don’t know, Apple Carplay is a system for navigating supported iPhone apps via the car dashboard monitor and controls. It is meant to provide a way to take advantage of mobile apps without taking your eyes too far off the road. The Subaru has its own native control panel and apps for playing music and other functions, but when an iPhone is plugged in with CarPlay enabled, it takes over and replaces it with the phone apps. Most of the processing is done on the phone and the feedback is mirrored to the dashboard monitor. CarPlay enabled app icons appear on the touch screen dashboard monitor and can be run without having to pick up the phone.

JRemote does not have specific CarPlay support, so its app icon does not appear on the dashboard screen. However, it can be run from the phone itself and once running it has playback controls that appear on the dashboard monitor. Additionally it can be controlled by the buttons on the steering wheel. As long as you remember to start playing something before you start driving, it’s very functional.

I would like to see a better implementation for CarPlay support. I’ll create a new thread for that, but I will say that, at a minimum, it would be nice to be able to start JRemote from the car dashboard screen instead of fumbling with the phone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up