INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: h.265 over DLNA  (Read 896 times)

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Looking Busy
h.265 over DLNA
« on: June 12, 2019, 10:10:13 pm »

Another in the long line of threads written for my own understanding of the tech more than anything.

I have MC25 streaming video to my DMP (AVR) via the ChromeCast Ultra/BubbleUPnP setup. Despite the odd misgiving in these forums re this configuration I find it works quite well and I’m happy with the setup.

Where I have come unstuck recently though is attempting to play h.265 files; they attempt to load but fail. If I convert the h.265 file to h.264  it works perfectly, however if I attempt to transcode the files to h.264 (or any number of other formats) by using specified output format it fails.

What I have found that does work is if I use VLC on the iPad to fetch the file from the MC25 DLNA server I have configured, the same one that is associated with the DLNA Zone in MC, then cast from within the app to the chromecast / AVR, it does play.

So I guess what this is telling me is that the culprit in this setup is BubbleUPnP. MC will serve up the file, and the ChromeCast AVR combination will happily play it. However, if I try and use BubblUpNP to render it, it fails.

After all that my query is why does transcoding not work? I have read that transcoding h.265 files can be problematic, but BubbleUpNP can supposedly handle them. Also is my reading of the issue correct?

Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up