INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updating Tags From the Database  (Read 1089 times)

Tube

• nothing more to say...
Updating Tags From the Database
« on: January 21, 2003, 06:49:07 am »

I want to update my mp3 files to update my ID3 (v1 and 2) tags with the more accurate info in my database fields.

Unfortunately, I turned off the "update tags" option for a time while I was experiencing problems in an earlier version of MJ8 that was very slow in updating the tags in the files. As a result, I now have at least several files (I'm not sure how many, 20-100 maybe) where the MJ database fields are more accurate than the info stored in the tags.

I thought of tricking MJ into updating the files themselves by making some dummy changes in the fields of all my files (with update tags turned on), but this strikes me as dangerous. If MJ fails during this process, I think some of my files could be lost.

If anyone has a suggestion for how to accomplish my goal safely, or, in the alternative, an easy way to identify which of my 6500 files have database fields that are out of sync with the ID3 tags, I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks.

-Tube

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Updating Tags From the Database
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2003, 06:55:33 am »

if you select all files and go to properties, and change the combo box to tell MJ to save all tags regardless.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Tube

• nothing more to say...
Re: Updating Tags From the Database
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2003, 04:16:33 am »

Thanks for the response, King. That combo box is really handy. (Note to JRiver: I wish its functionality were explained and publicized more in the help file.  :))

Does anyone know of a way to rewrite the files/tags for all of and *only* those files where the database information is out of sync with the file tags, e.g. where the database fields had been changed previously and the file not updated, sometime before opening the current editing session in the properties box?

Currently, the "update all files" option operates to rewrite even those files where the database fields are already in sync with the tags. I'd like to avoid this if possible so I can tell (by looking at the file date stamp in explorer) which files have been newly updated with a change in tag info. This would enable me to selectively back up only the newly changed files, which is desirable to me because: 1) I already have perfect back up copies of the thousands of files that haven't been changed; and 2) I back up to CD-R's. It would also be nice to save the time where the computer (needlessly) rewrites files/tags when there's been no change in the tag info.

Thanks again. MJ rules.
-Tube
Pages: [1]   Go Up