INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tags missing  (Read 883 times)

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
  • Music and Audio enthusiast
Tags missing
« on: June 20, 2019, 10:57:12 am »

Again ... for unknown reason a great number of tags in the 'composition' field (I am talg about classical music files) has been deleted. I understand (not sure) the server rescan *all* the library getting tags from the internet (composition filed in almost never used by the tagger ... this is why i understand this)

my question is if it is possible to 'lock' files to prevent tag and image files (yes: some image files have been replaced!) updates (which i really did not wanted)

I posted a similar issue (cannot find the post0 and I was told to make library backup but now tags inside the files have been erased ...
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.
NAS: QNAP TS-531 with 5x4TB HDDs
DAC/ADC: RME ADI2 PRO
Speakers (active): 2 x ATC SCM50ASL
Subs (active): 2 x REL 528 Signature

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tags missing
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 01:38:46 pm »

I understand (not sure) the server rescan *all* the library getting tags from the internet (composition filed in almost never used by the tagger ... this is why i understand this)

You need to expand on this. Are you saying that MC is re-scanning and getting tags from the Internet all by itself?

While I am aware of this "lookup" command - I have only ever used it in a manual fashion to get occasional starter data on a CD when ripping.

Have never used it against my master library. And have certainly never allowed it to run (if it's even possible?) automatically?

What exactly are you seeing from a "rescan" angle here?

VP

VP

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 02:07:57 pm »

In addition what Vocalpoint said MC also makes automatic library backups so chances are that you could restore tags from one of those.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 02:15:44 pm »

Disk drive problems or antivirus could cause a loss of data.

MC won't over-write your tags unless you tell it to.

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 03:16:56 am »

I did import a single folder so far. I do not think I did anything strange ...

Maybe I have to un-check some auto import options (i.e. run auto import in background or so)?

And about restore library, I was figuring that this will update just the sidecar files... but I probably do not undend what exactly is happening in-depth.

For example: if I change a directory name and want to update the 'Folder listings' in the 'Libray & Folders' dialog box, will it re-run autoimport and screw up the tags and the cover arts?

thanks
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 04:31:54 am »

For example: if I change a directory name and want to update the 'Folder listings' in the 'Libray & Folders' dialog box, will it rerun autoimport and screw up the tags and the cover arts?
Not sure if I understood correctly but if you change directory name using MC (which you should and for files that are already imported) then you shouldn't need to do anything more. Everything should remain as it was in the tags. Only filename field in MC database would have been changed to point this new location.

Now if you move files using some other program then there might be some problems as it might be impossible for MC to be able figure out that these are the same files which were already imported and because of that they will be treated as a new files.

So it is preferable to work inside MC.

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 06:00:10 am »

I plan to change the directory name from windows OS and then change the directory in the list of the directory MC uses to import files
Stereo:

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 06:07:38 am »

You can do that with MC's tool called Rename, Move, & Copy.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 06:34:34 am »

I plan to change the directory name from windows OS and then change the directory in the list of the directory MC uses to import files
If the directory you are going to rename has files which are already imported, it would be easy just do the renaming under MC like in this picture. After that, update the auto import folder according to your folder changes and that's it. No hassle with importing files again and also not losing fields which are not saved to files

Alternatively you could use the tool Jim mentioned by selecting all the files you want to move and pressing F6. (Example picture 2.) (and update autoimport folder after that..)

Or you can use windows explorer but then you might have database problems mentioned above

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 09:03:39 am »

I tried to remame z:\videos to video (no trailing s) since all the video folder arond my system are named video) using your directions but MC server does not allow me
Stereo:

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 12:58:31 pm »

Have you tried using the RM&C tool (F6)? If that does not work, are you able to edit the directory name in Explorer? It sounds like there is something wrong with you filesystem permissions.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 01:56:54 pm »

If you could take a screenshot about how you are trying to do it or give us precise steps what you did it would be easier to try to help you solve the situation
Pages: [1]   Go Up