INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tag question  (Read 454 times)

pfm555

• World Citizen
tag question
« on: June 23, 2019, 09:39:07 am »

i group an actor's movies together by putting their name with collection i.e Jimmy Stewart Collection in the series field. i then download a picture of the actor and name it the same and put in C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 25\Cover Art\series. In theater view the actors picture appears and when you click-on it  all the movies of the actor show. My question, is it possible to have more than one actor tagged in the series field. Two actors costar in a movie or for example, Jimmy Stewart appeared in a number of Hitchcock movies (which i have tagged Hitchcock collection). This would allow all his Hitchcock movies to appear under both Jimmy Stewart Collection and Hitchcock Collection.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: tag question
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 11:13:35 pm »

My question, is it possible to have more than one actor tagged in the series field.

No.

As you will find if you look in the "Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields" dialogue, the [Series] field is a String field, and so can only hold one value for each file.

The [Actors] field is a List type field, and so can hold multiple values. But there is no Cover Art linked to the Actors field. You could request that of JRiver, but actually, your Collections are not just based on actors, as shown by your Hitchcock Collection. So the [Actors] field isn't what you want to use either.

The [Artist] field is a List type field that can hold multiple values, has Cover Art associated with it, and is generally empty for movies. So it would be a perfect field to use for your requirement.

I'm not going to go through all the details now, but you could add to the [Artist] field for the movies in Collections the Actor, Director, or whatever that you use to associate items into a Collection. One item could belong to multiple Collections. You could then put an image into the Cover Art location (C:\Users\[UserID]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 25\Cover Art\Artists) named as per your Collection grouping item, i.e. Hitchcock.jpg, "Jimmy Stewart.jpg", etc.

Then create a View, limit it to movies, and make the first Category in the View "Artist". The View will then group all movies by each Artist value, and show the image you saved as Cover Art for the Collection.

Perhaps use the full Collection name in the Artist field and image name. i.e.
[Artist] field includes "Jimmy Stewart Collection"  ==> "Jimmy Stewart Collection.jpg"
[Artist] field includes "Hitchcock Collection"  ==> "Hitchcock Collection.jpg"

The Artist View you create would then show "Jimmy Stewart Collection" and "Hitchcock Collection" under the thumbnail image.

See how you go with that. Ask for help if you can't find info in the Wiki or Forum, and get stuck.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

pfm555

• World Citizen
Re: tag question
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 10:43:12 am »

Thanks Roderick.
Pages: [1]   Go Up